nikitin dheer kratika sengar dheer
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; May 16, 2022)

Nikitin Dheer wanted to become a father soon after he got married to actress Kratika Sengar. Understandably, his happiness knew no bounds when he held his bundle of joy for the first time. The couple was blessed with a baby girl on May 12.

Talking exclusively to BT, he says, “Holding my baby in my arms felt surreal! We are a close-knit family and we partake in and celebrate every joy together with equal enthusiasm. When my sisters gave birth to baby boys in 2018, I felt the same surge of emotions when I held them...it felt like I was holding my own children. We are five boys in the house and my daughter Devika is the first girl. So, the family is even more excited and prepared to pamper her (smiles).”

Steering clear of the trend of choosing unusual names for their babies like most celebs, the couple named their girl, Devika. Nikitin tells us, “We had zeroed in on a few names for both a boy and a girl. We wanted an Indian name, not a Greek, Turkish or Italian one. We are desi at heart and like it that way. That’s how we finalized Devika for our daughter. It sounds beautiful and is timeless. There is a lot of grace, dignity and deep meaning attached to the name.”

While the new daddy in town would have liked to spend some quality time with his newborn, he had to leave for Goa the following day. However, he is not complaining. For him, work is an important aspect of his life. He shares, “Yes, I miss holding Devika and being with her. But my producers have worked hard on planning the schedule, which was done in advance. I feel fortunate that I was in Mumbai when she came into this world. But this was a prior commitment and I am happy to be back on the set because work is as important as anything else.”

So, does he feel more responsible now? “I have lived a bohemian life. Shaadi se pehle I used to work aur jo thode bohot paise aate the usse I travelled. I would disappear for a while. Aur jab paise khatam ho jaate the toh I would get back to work. But after I got married, my approach towards work and life changed. Now, I have become even more focused since the arrival of my daughter. I have evolved at every stage and I can clearly see it. Harr cheez ek samay tak achhi lagti hai. I want to be a good parent just like my own parents even though it’s no mean feat,” he replies.