SO MANY COLLEAGUES UNDERWENT SURGERIES TO CHANGE BODIES

Radhika Apte finds it challenging to accept showbiz’s superficiality and needs distance from it sometimes
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 29, 2022)

Despite being part of showbiz, actor Radhika Apte likes to maintain distance from its glitz. The reason for that, she says, is because she doesn’t understand the superficial nature of the industry and its reluctance to embrace the lines which come with age.

“What I’m really struggling with is [people unable] to combat age, especially with people in the industry going through surgeries. I know so many of my colleagues who have gone through so many surgeries to change their faces and bodies,” shares the 36-year-old.

“I just can’t cope with it. And I don’t see a lot of people standing up against it. In fact, [there are] people who talk about body positivity and have got so many things (surgeries) done themselves. I am a bit tired of that and I find it very, very challenging (to accept),” adds the actor, who is headed back to London, UK, to be with husband, British violinist Benedict Taylor, after wrapping up Vikram Vedha.

Sharing how spending time away helps her, the Raat Akeli Hai actor says, “London makes me less anxious, less insecure. It reminds me of what it is that I really want to do, and what are my priorities. The distance (from the industry) always helps… It gets quite tiring in Mumbai because it’s all about meeting the industry people.”

After spending 17 years in the industry, she is sure about one thing — she is not willing to compromise. “I’m a bit tired and bored of doing things that I don’t really agree with, or saying great things about something that I don’t think is great. I’m tired of small talk, unnecessary parties and unnecessarily just being there in front of people,” Apte tells us.

Right now, the spark inspiring her is missing, which is why she is on a break. “The content coming my way has not been very inspiring lately… I am taking a break because I’m just not sure what I want to do. In the next couple of months. I’ll decide what I want to do,” wraps up Apte, who has four films ready for release this year, including Mrs Undercover and Monica, O My Darling.