rashmika mandanna

Sunayana Suresh (BOMBAY TIMES; May 22, 2022)

From winning the Times Fresh Face in 2014 to starring in films alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor and Vijay – Pushpa: The Rise - Part 01 star Rashmika Mandanna has sure come a long way. The actress recently spoke to us about her cinematic journey, her upcoming films and her love for breaking barriers. Excerpts...

You’ve been shooting continuously, so your recent trip home for a friend’s wedding must have been a welcome break...
I had a packed schedule, but I absolutely couldn’t miss the wedding of a dear friend, as I have grown up with her and a few other friends.

The past two years have seen you take on films alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Ranbir Kapoor and Vijay. How does it all play out in your mind?
It is happening with god’s grace. These are some of the biggest actors in the country and I cannot be more proud. It isn’t just the star power, but I am also getting amazing scripts with these people. It is perfect in terms of what I seek. I get to learn so many amazing things from all of them, which is mind-blowing. I couldn’t be happier, as with each film I feel that I am becoming a better actor, getting to know tricks and techniques of the industry. I am loving it!

Tell us more about how it has been working with Amitabh Bachchan...
Working with Mr Bachchan has been an extremely new experience. It is fascinating to see how he works. I love that I get to speak to him between shots about his experiences, films and way of thinking. There are so many things from his experience that we are learning as actors. It has been simply amazing.

How do you approach the different actors and filmmakers you work with, since there has been such a variation off late?
Every set that I go to is different, but I just try to be myself. I know how important it is for the director, the leads of the film and the director of photography’s energies to blend for the filmmaking process to go on smoothly. With every film, I seek to make more memories. I look forward to having fun and if that’s not the case then you’re just working without any soul. Working with such versatile, wonderful, comfortable and hardworking actors makes it better. Everytime I see them, I tell myself, ‘They are already such big names, yet they work so hard even now.’ This makes me want to match them and strive to work harder. If they can do it, why can’t I?

Actors across industries in India have said that we need to unite to ensure that our cinema stands out on a global level. As an actor, are there any barriers you face while working in different industries?
For me, there has never been such a thing as barriers; I have always loved breaking barriers. I want to do films everywhere and reach the hearts of people in every corner. I feel that now because of the kinds of the films that are releasing, people are celebrating actors from everywhere. It is the most amazing time to be in the film industry. I am enjoying the process and loving where we are all headed. I know that the love and adoration will not last forever, but till it does, I will have a blast.

The success of Pushpa, along with some other recent releases, have evoked a newfound interest in South Indian films. Do you agree when some people call this a threat?
I don’t think this interest is sudden. When I go to different states in North India, they tell me that they have watched a lot of South Indian films on television, but now they get to see them on the big screen. There are people who have known me from before, but Pushpa gave it a stamp, saying ‘we’re here’, for me at least. Films like Pushpa, RRR and KGF have won the hearts because we are staying true to ourselves and yet we are presenting ourselves it to others in their language. I wouldn’t say people elsewhere feel threatened - they are more welcoming towards the content.

You seem to have an interesting bunch of films in you kitty. What’s on your wishlist now?
There are so many more actors that I still want to work with, and it’s a long list. But for now, I am really happy with the work I am doing. I hope that I get to work with the others on the list. I am excited to see where my journey is headed and what will happen.