Pakistani singer accuses Kanika Kapoor of plagiarism

HINDUSTAN TIMES (April 30, 2022)

Singer Kanika Kapoor’s latest single Buhe Bariyan has found itself embroiled in a plagiarism controversy. On Thursday, Pakistani singer Hadiqa Kiani shared on her Instagram Stories that the ballad was originally sung by her and penned by her mother, poet Khawar Kiani.

“Another day and another shameless rendition of the song my mother wrote. No one asked for my permission, no one has given me royalties, they just take the song that my mother wrote and I recorded and use it as an easy money making scheme,” Kiani wrote.

She further alleged that the song from her 1998 album Roshni was also used in Hindi films. “So far, it’s been stolen to be used in multiple Bollywood films starring the likes of Shah Rukh Khan and Preity Zinta. It’s been stolen by every other singer who sings on stage while earning. And of course, by many singers who produce full music videos, some of these cover videos have received almost 200 million views on YouTube. The latter gives me “credit” by saying “original song: boohey barian by hadiqa kiani” (sic),” Kiani added.

Referring to this episode as the “thieft of Pakistani music continues”, the singer said that she has nothing personal against Kapoor. “Almost every time I have covered a song, I have bought rights to the song, asked permission of the artist or paid royalties to the artist because that’s the ethical way to do things… I have nothing against this singer and the other singers who have sang my songs. I’m just upset with the way that they all seem to go about the process,” she shared.