‘AR Rahman said he is happy and proud of me’
Divya Kaushik (BOMBAY TIMES; April 7, 2022)

The 2022 Grammys on Monday were quite eventful for Falguni Shah aka Falu, who performed the opening number at the Grammys Premiere ceremony, and won the award for the Best Children’s Album (forA Colorful World) later on the same day. “It still hasn’t quite sunk in,” the artiste – who was one of the two Indians to win the Grammy Award that evening (the second being Ricky Kej, who won in the Best New Album category) – told us a day after winning the award. She continued, “I haven’t got time yet to see my social media, but the number (of followers) has gone up massively.”

Falguni, who also received a congratulatory message from PM Narendra Modi on social media, said that “it’s something I could have never imagined. I feel proud to be an Indian who comes from a very simple, traditional family, but worked hard to follow her dreams and passions. To be acknowledged at the Grammys is the hope and dream of every artiste and I feel honoured that I am getting to live this dream.”

‘HAVING A SOUTH ASIAN GIRL PERFORM AT THE CEREMONY WAS A MESSAGE ABOUT EMBRACING DIVERSITY’

The New York-based singer and songwriter says that for her even an invitation to perform at the Grammys Premiere ceremony was a “very big deal”. “I remember when I first got that call, I was ecstatic! They wanted to open with music that had an Indian classical twist, which reflected how they want to embrace different cultures. Having a South Asian girl perform at the ceremony was a message about embracing diversity. I was excited and my son thought I was acting crazy. We had rasgullas,gulab jamuns and candies to celebrate the day,” says Falguni, who was also nominated in the Best Children’s Music category at the 2019 Grammys, for her project Falu’s Bazaar.

“Since I lost the first time I was nominated, I didn’t go with any expectations this time. For me, even the nomination was a big recognition, but I was still praying constantly,” she says.

Talking about her winning moment, Falguni says, “When our name was announced for the award, I was thrilled! The entire Grammy community was so thrilled to see an Indian minority, immigrant woman doing both – performing at the opening and winning the award. My acceptance speech was all about me coming from India, my upbringing, and the values I have inherited as an Indian daughter. I also mentioned how children around the world who are seeing so much war and the pandemic, need an uplifting and positive message through music.”

‘AS A CLASSICAL SINGER, I NEVER THOUGHT I’D WRITE KIDS’ SONGS’

Falguni’s win has definitely inspired her 10-year-old son Nishaad, who also accompanied her on stage at the Grammys. “My son says, ‘Mummy, one day I want to win the Grammy’, and I told him, ‘You have to work hard and rehearse 16 hours a day’. He thinks that if my mother, who is brown, can get it in America, I can do anything I want. And that’s exactly what I want all the kids to feel,” she says, adding that her son was the reason why she started writing for kids.

“It was never my plan to write for children. When my son was four, attending pre-school in New York, he was finding it difficult to blend in. He would come home and ask me, ‘Why do we have yellow food? Why do we speak Gujarati at home? Why am I brown?’ How do I tell a four year old that you have the richest heritage of Indian culture, you should be proud and not fearful of your differences. So, that’s when I started writing songs to explain to him about how differences are beautiful,” she says, adding, “I am a classical singer, I never even thought I would write kids’ songs, but my life put me in a position where my child was dealing with an identity crisis at the age of four. I think, being a mother and a songwriter, I attempted to tell my son about his heritage through music. I feel that more than 50% of kids in American schools are not white, so how do we represent them? That’s when I started to think about The Colorful World. In the album, we figured out a way of telling kids very simply, that in a crayon box, different shades can live together beautifully, peacefully, yet they have their own identities. In the same way, human beings can live in a world peacefully, while having their own identities. We don’t have to fight. So, the message is, ‘Kids, let’s just accept each other, tolerate each other and live peacefully, rather than being scared of each other'.”

‘THERE IS MARKET FOR KIDS’ MUSIC AND WE SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT KIDS LISTEN TO AGE-APPROPRIATE MUSIC’

“People should be writing more for kids,” believes Falguni, elaborating, “I want India to start thinking about writing more songs for kids. I want artistes to think about teaching children, about acceptance and love, and about being proud of themselves, through music. I wish that people begin writing for children, so that they do not just listen to everything that’s on TV and in movies, because sometimes it is not age-appropriate. I want to start a movement and make it international. There is a market for kids’ music. I am very strict about what my child is listening to and watching, and I think that awareness is important. I think this win will inspire a lot of writers in India to start rethinking about what we are giving our kids in terms of entertainment.”
--------------------------------------------
Titas Chowdhury (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 7, 2022)

Indian-American singer-songwriter Falguni Shah, who won the Grammy for Best Children’s Music Album for her album, A Colourful World, tells us that “it was a surreal” experience for her. Speaking to us from the US, she says, “I was like, ‘Oh my god!’ My jaw dropped and it stayed like that for 30 seconds (laughs). It was such an ecstatic moment for me.”

And a phone call from music maestro A R Rahman added even more joy to the already happy occasion. Shah and Rahman had previously worked together on the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire (2008). Shah shares, “I couldn’t speak to him (at the ceremony) as I didn’t have access to go to the audience. The nominees were asked to sit in a particular section, and Rahman was in a different section. But we spoke over the phone. He told me, ‘Congratulations! I’m so happy and proud of you!’” 

Although inclusivity is the buzzword on global platforms these days, the artiste praises the awards for focusing on recognizing talent rather than jumping on the bandwagon. Shah says, “I feel so lucky that I was given the award for my work instead of where I come from; it didn’t matter whether I’m an Indian or brown-skinned. It was all about excellence in music.”

Going forward, she wants to start a trend to encourage lyricists and melody makers to begin writing songs for children. “In the first six years, we need set the right foundation for them (children). They need to be better citizens when they grow up,” concludes the musician, who is popularly known as Falu.