Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; April 2, 2022)

Her love for all things traditional is evident in her social media posts. Today, on Gudi Padwa, Shraddha Kapoor is excited to participate in the festivities to celebrate the Maharashtrian New Year, which marks the beginning of spring. While Shraddha’s father Shakti Kapoor, is Punjabi, her mother, Shivangi, is Maharashtrian, and the actress has grown up celebrating all the festivals with equal enthusiasm at her home. For a photo shoot exclusively for Bombay Times, the actress dressed up like a true Marathi mulgi in a nauvari saree and ethnic jewellery.

Expressing her love for the nine-yard drape, Shraddha said, “This is the first time I have worn a nauvari saree along with a nath and a chandrakor bindi, and it is a very special feeling. Nauvari sarees have a very grand and celebrated history. It isn’t just a mere aesthetic attire. The nauvari symbolises strength and power. It was also worn by women to fight in wars back in the day, as it allowed mobility and freedom of movement.”

Talking about how the special day usually unfolds for her every year, Shraddha says, “It is all about following the traditions. I wake up early and start the day by gorging on some homemade puran polis, topped with a dollop of ghee on it. Also, it’s a day that you spend with your family and loved ones. With Gudi Padwa, you look forward to starting the New Year on a happy, optimistic note.”

Recalling the time spent in the past two years of the Coronavirus pandemic, the Baaghi 3 actress says, “With no shoots happening, I just spent all of that time in the company of my family and loved ones. Those were my most precious moments. It was lovely to be at home and help around the house with cleaning and other duties. I also spent my time watching movies and reading books.”

Today, she cherishes those moments, as work is back in full steam and keeps her on her toes. Currently, she is shooting for a Luv Ranjan directorial that has her sharing screen space with Ranbir Kapoor for the first time.

Shraddha shares, “It just feels good to be back on set with my team and shoot for my film and other work commitments. It is really nice to get back and face the camera again. Talking about Ranbir, I have admired him as an actor right from his first film. I am glad that finally we got to do a film together. I am looking forward to this being my next release, and it feels great to know that people are excited to see us coming together on the big screen.”