Terence Lewis on reality shows

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; March 24, 2022)

Terence Lewis, who has been judging dance reality shows for many years, has always been vocal about his thoughts. Talking about reality shows, he had earlier said that children have to face cut-throat competition at a young age, which can be detrimental for them. However, he is glad that these shows function in a far more streamlined manner today.

He says, “I have been judging dance reality shows for more than a decade now. A couple of years ago, I did feel that the children, who participate in these dance reality shows need to spend time at school or pursue their education rather than give away their childhood to these shows. I also felt that they were spending a lot of time shooting and competing with each other. However, now, with proper rules and regulations, things have fallen into place. Today, they have mentors to guide them and they also put in a limited number of hours.”

The choreographer, who was last seen judging India’s Best Dancer, however still feels that if it were his own child, he would think twice before sending them to be a part of a reality show. He says, “Reality shows are great platforms to shine. But, if it were my son or daughter, I would think twice because I feel there is so much competition on a reality show that it would be unfair to the child.”

Terence, who will be seen on a special episode of Dance India Dance (DID) Little Masters soon, started his career with DID in 2009. He says, “I would love to erase many things about my earlier stint as a judge. I had a very different fashion sense, and I wasn’t as mature. When I look back, I feel people liked me because of my work and talent. I did not speak Hindi so well, but now, I think I have mastered the language and feel more confident judging a show. ”