Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 2, 2022)

Actor Pavleen Gujral had a small role in Gehraiyaan (she played actor Deepika Padukone’s mother), but she’s been happy with the response. “I start the film and I’m there throughout, in bits and parts. I am overwhelmed with how things are going,” she says.

Prod her about the polarising reviews the film has got and she feels that people are being “a little too judgmental”. She adds, “We are living in the 21st century. I am not saying whatever was shown in the film (infidelity) was wrong or right, but such things happen. The film focuses on why such things happen. Rather than what happened, we should appreciate the gumption that the filmmakers have shown.”

Gujral agrees that today, in the times of social media, people get extreme, and nasty, too. That’s why the tonal shift of the film from infidelity to thriller was received in a polarising way: “I went for the screening and didn’t think it would get this kind of a reaction. I told Shakun (Batra; director), ‘I can’t get over the film post interval.’ After that, I saw people talking about an entirely different topic. People are behaving like pigeons, with their eyes closed.”