Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 7, 2022)

Actor Shantanu Maheshwari turns 31 today and the fact that his first film, director Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Gangubai Kathiawadi, has received good reviews, has made the day extra special for him. “People are appreciating my work and chemistry with Alia (Bhatt, actor). I am very happy,” Maheshwari says.

He adds that keeping his debut a secret was tough. “[Not disclosing things for] three years is not a joke. Covid-19 stalled the release. At one point, I wanted to announce to the world, ‘I am going to be part of it.’ But, not announcing it had its own perks, as it came as a shock to people,” says the Dil Dostii Dance and Girls On Top actor.

The best compliment, he says, came from Bhansali himself. “He appreciated my work. He’s not someone who appreciates casually, he knows what he is talking about. When he did it, it felt very special,” says Maheshwari.

Sharing his plans for the day, the actor says, “I’m not the one to get excited about my birthday or plan the day in advance. For me, it’s all about spending time with my family, friends and close ones.”