Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; March 17, 2022)

It’s their first Holi post marriage, and Ankita Lokhande Jain and Vicky Jain are going all out to celebrate it in a big way. Not that they haven’t celebrated the festival together before, but after marriage, it is even more exciting says Ankita. In a conversation with BT, the couple talks about the one phone call that changed the equation between them, life after marriage, of course, their Holi plans. Read On…

How special is this Holi going to be, considering it is your first one post your marriage in December last year?
Ankita: Vicky was away for some work, but I am glad that he has returned in time to celebrate Holi together. Last year, owing to Coronavirus restrictions, we played with colours within the confines of our home. Vicky and I have been playing Holi from the time we became friends. But, shaadi ke baad wali Holi ka mazaa kuch alag hi hota hai.
Vicky: It is our first Holi since we got married, so how on earth would I miss it? We have planned a get-together with our friends and many other things to make the day special.

Vicky, you are a businessman and your work is based in your hometown Bilaspur, whereas Ankita lives and works in Mumbai. How do you make the long-distance relationship work?
Vicky: This was something my family was worried about. They said that the two of you are young and can travel to be with each other between work, but what happens when you grow a little older? I don’t know how, but with Ankita around, I know everything is possible. She is just so positive and knows how to balance things.
Ankita: I try to make the most of it when he comes to Mumbai or when I go to his hometown. Everybody lives a busy life these days where one is constantly travelling due to work. So, the best is to focus on each other whenever you get this precious time and make these moments special. I am a very family-oriented person. You don’t have to put in any extra effort when you love someone. Just like Vicky, even his entire family is dear to me. Family comes first for both of us.

At what point did you realize that it was time to formalize your relationship?
Ankita: There was no point of realization as such. Vicky and I have been friends, and from the time we started dating, we were clear that we wanted to get married.
Vicky: Initially, we were not even friends. We knew each other (through common friends), but we hadn’t really spoken to each other. Then at one point, she wanted to talk to me and understand something about life. The conversation lasted for two hours. Believe me, jiss wajah se usne phone kiya tha, that topic we discussed for five minutes, but we spoke about each other for the rest of the time. After that call, we thought we connected strongly, and then it led to many such telephonic conversations, after which there was no looking back.

Ankita, you once said that Vicky loves you like no one else ever did. Can you elaborate on how the definition of love changed for you after Vicky came into your life?
Ankita: This is selfless love. I don’t have a fear of losing him. With Vicky, I feel very secure about everything. And the best thing is the comfort that you share when you are with your partner. You need to have that comfort, and he makes sure that we have it. He shows that he loves me in every way possible. Woh jitna bolta hai, usse kai zyaada mere liye karta hai. That’s very special. He is very possessive about me, and I like it. I see his love for me in his possessiveness. Vicky feels very proud that I am his wife and vice versa.