Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 14, 2022)

Actor Zareen Khan had a big Bollywood debut with Veer (2010), but she feels that despite being around for 12 years, her potential hasn’t been tapped well. When asked why she hasn’t done a lot of work, she reveals, “There are too many factors. The most important thing to be part of this industry is to be very social, attend all the parties and connect with people. At the beginning of my career, I didn’t know how to network.”

Since her family didn’t have any connection with the film industry, Khan didn’t know people in Bollywood when she started out and vice versa. “Since I didn’t put a lot of effort in becoming friends with people from the business, I lacked opportunities. The major trend right now is that everybody is everybody’s friend and they like working with their friends. So, how will I get work if people keep recommending or working with their friends in Bollywood?” she asks.

Khan adds that filmmakers didn’t explore her talent all these years and refused to look at her beyond the roles she’s done: “Since people don’t know me on a one-on-one level, they don’t know my potential. They have judged me on the basis of what they have seen on screen and are not really open to giving me a chance and looking at me as someone beyond a hot eye candy.”

Khan’s last outing, Hum Bhi Akele Tum Bhi Akele (2019), was a direct-to-digital release and she loved being part of it. “I am glad that it (the film) gave me a chance to do a character-driven role. I didn’t have to focus on looking pretty and hot, and I could actually show what I could bring to the table,” the 34-year-old ends.