Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 1, 2022)

Completing three “glorious” decades in the industry, actor Ronit Roy is as driven as ever, and is looking forward to adventures the next 30 years will bring. Calling his career full of “major ups and downs”, Roy says, “I feel my rough journey made me the actor I’m now. Actor, actor hota hai aur star, star hota hai. Had I become a superstar back then, I might have faded away, not learnt from life or the industry.”

The actor, who started as a model and editor before he landed his debut film, Jaan Tere Naam (1992), is still proud of his project and its success at the box office. “It was a silver jubilee film... But even though it was such a huge hit, stardom was elusive then. I didn’t have money to pay rent even after doing the film,” he says.

Recalling how he lost 24 kgs in two months by “drinking chicken soup and water” to bag the role, the 56-year-old adds, “But after the film was a hit at the box office, there was no call, no flowers, no reaction from the industry for three weeks. The film began a new chapter in my life and jerked me out of my comfort zone.”

Grateful for all the love and appreciation he has received in his career, the Udaan (2010) and Adaalat actor mentions feeling vindicated. He explains, “I’ve been written off, insulted, called names and abused by the industry. And today, the same people praise me. The ones who tried to pull me down aren’t here anymore, yet I am still standing. My father used to say, ‘Baaton se nahin, kaam se darao’. I am hugely respected by everybody in the industry today and I bow my head in thanks for the love and support.”