Akash Wadhwa (BOMBAY TIMES; February 19, 2022)

Sharing a special bond with late music director and singer Bappi Lahiri, Rupali Ganguly says she is shattered with his sudden demise. Talking to us about Bappi uncle, as she fondly called him, Rupali shares, “It is a personal loss. He was like my father’s younger brother. His association with my father started with the film Agreement, and then they went on to do several films together, Saheb being one of the notable ones. I can’t even tell you how this feels, it is just like another part of me has gone. Seriously, with Bappi Da, an era has ended. We all have to go one day but I never thought that we will lose Bappi Da so soon. Even though we feel we are prepared for this day, frankly speaking, we are never fully prepared.”

She adds, “I have been to so many of his recordings. I feel blessed to be Anil Ganguly’s daughter as we got a chance to grow up amongst all these wonderful superstars. Music is something that I am very connected to. Bappi uncle ke ghar jaa ke we have enjoyed so many musical sittings. We would hear something new whenever we went to his house. He could play so many musical instruments. His family has been my family. In fact, the Lahiri house was the center of all the fun times and Bappi Da was one of the most approachable and simple celebrities I have ever come across. He loved having people over to his house. It was a blessing to have grown up around a grounded man like Bappi Lahiri uncle. I just pray that his family gets the strength to bear the loss and I hope his son Bappa, who is my brother, carries forward his legacy.”

Ask her on how she would like to remember Bappi Da and she says, “I would always remember him as the man who used to bless people around him. He would always want good for everyone.”