Nawazuddin Siddiqui
The actor talks about his newly built bungalow,what it means to him and also shares exclusive pictures with Bombay Times
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; February 22, 2022)

Nawazuddin Siddiqui says that he never dreamt of owning a lavish bungalow in Mumbai, yet today, he is a proud owner of a sprawling property in the suburbs of Mumbai, a city that he made his home 20 years ago. The actor recently shifted into his new multi-storeyed abode. This move has pushed him into the esteemed list of actors who own plush bungalows in Mumbai.

Bring that up and Nawaz says, “Mera aisa koi intention nahi tha. All these perks are just a by-product of all the hard work that I am doing. I never dreamt of living in a bungalow. It was my brother who had shown me this plot. I developed interest in it and the rest is history.”

His new address, which rests on a piece of land in Yari Road, Versova, took three years to be made. The actor was deeply involved in it from the start, giving his creative inputs in the design and interiors to blend with his taste. “While at NSD (National School of Drama) I did study about architecture. Plus, as a creative person working in movies, I have an aesthetical sense.”

Nawaz says, “In the last three years, I have been juggling between work and designing this property. Main shoot pe jaata tha phir aake dekhta tha, phir tudwa deta tha... phir kuch naya banwa deta tha. Finally, this is how it looks.”

The actor, who has multiple homes in Mumbai, has now shifted his base to this one, but some final touches are still left. He elaborates, “There’s a wall outside the house where I have kept nine frames. I am planning to put up navras masks in those. Then, there is one corner where I am planning to put up black and white pictures of some of the world’s greatest actors and directors. Aise lagna chahiye ke yeh ek artiste ka ghar hai. Likewise, sabse upar wala jo chhatt hai, wahaan I am planning to make a wooden cabin. There is lot of greenery that surrounds the bungalow, so I want to use this cabin to sit, think and work on my script.”

Further elaborating on the design and look of the place, Nawaz adds, “I am lucky to get a clearer, uninterrupted view of greenery from all the windows of the house. I am very grounded as a person, who loves to stick to his roots, and you will see that from the exterior design of the bungalow, too, which has a very desi vibe. The property has seven rooms and two huge drawing rooms. There is one theatre hall, too. I have put in my heart and soul when it comes to its look... like from the colours I picked, the wood I chose... you enter the house and you will feel that you have stepped into a vintage British home.”

Through the pandemic and during the lockdown, Nawaz spent most of his time at his hometown Budhana, where he took to farming. So, when he had an opportunity to own a piece of land in Mumbai, he ensured that the location was such that he could get his hands dirty in the soil and do some planting. “On the first floor, I have made space for gardening. Now, of course I can’t grow huge trees like I do in my village. So, I have consulted an expert about the kind of plants that are suitable to grow on an elevated garden and I want to enjoy spending time planting those there,” he says.

While today he’s reaping the fruits of his success, Nawaz has come a long way, and his journey has not been without struggles — whether it was for getting a meaty role in a film, or a half-decent apartment to live in. He shares, “Aaj jitna bada mera personal bathroom hai, utna sa mera ghar hua karta tha. When I moved to Mumbai, I stayed in such a small place, which I shared with four other budding actors. Woh kamra itna chhota tha ki agar main door kholu toh kisi ke pairon mein lag jata tha, because, we all used to lay our beds on the floor when we slept there. Dheere dheere, I started sharing my room with three people, then with two, and it is only from 2005 that I started living alone.”

Nawaz has named his bungalow Nawab after his father, who he dedicates his new home to. “I remember when my father visited me in Mumbai a few years ago, he got very upset and said, 'Yeh kis tareeque ke kabootar khaane mein rehte ho tum log'. I was staying in a 3 BHK apartment then, which was really small compared to the huge place in our hometown, which dad loved. Unka mann Mumbai ke ghar mein nahi lagta tha. So, I always had this thing in my mind that I would get him to a bigger place in Mumbai one day, but he passed away before that. I wish my dad could see this bungalow.”

While he is excited about building new memories here, the part of him that’s realistic, steps up and adds, “Bungalow-wungalow ki baatein sab theek hai. But in reality, agar dekhe toh... main rahunga hi kitna yahaan? As actors, we spend most of our time in our tiny vanity vans. Meri aadhi life jo hai woh vanity vans mein hi guzar gayi hai (laughs).”