Meera Vohra (BOMBAY TIMES; January 12, 2022)

Kaahin Kissii Roz actor Mouli Ganguly, who was in Banaras for the promotion of her TV show Bal Shiv recently, says she is blessed to be back in the city. “I had come to the city as a child with my parents. Though it was a very short visit, I have very vivid memories of the place. I remember I had gone for a boat ride on a full moon lit night. The boat was decorated with flowers, later I got to know that it was Kartik Poornima, the day Dev Deepawali was celebrated. This time also I got the chance to savour everything the city is famous for.”

Mouli, whose career has spanned two decades, says, “OTT has given actors, especially TV actors, a big platform to show their potential. Television is a restrictive medium as it works under certain rules. TRP is a major factor and the content follows accordingly, so creativity is affected. One moves within a structure in television. Films again are too big a gap where TV actors are called for roles that don’t do much to their career and that don’t excite me at all. So, I am happy doing TV shows. OTT platform is like a bridge between television and films. Every actor irrespective of gender, age and looks is getting a platform in web series. The possibility is there, which is a beautiful feeling for actors.”

She goes on to add, “Despite restrictive nature of the medium, women actors on TV have more shelf value as compared to male actors. Today, the female protagonist in a show is not a 16-year-old, but still that show is the most popular one. Now there is a possibility of playing one’s age. Once I met a very good male theatre actor who was part of the film Lagaan, he was really upset that women actors get all kinds of roles on TV while he is not able to bag such roles as he looks a certain manner.”