In a special chat, the actor shares what Christmas means to her and her wish from Santa this year
Titas Chowdhury (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 25, 2021)

Pine trees, twinkle lights, gifts, Santa caps, bells, marzipans… Christmas is the time for spreading cheer. While actor Ananya Panday decorates her tree, we catch up with her to talk about all things Xmas. The festival is rather special for the 23-year-old this time around, as 2021 helped her reconnect with herself. Excerpts:

What are your Christmas plans?
I’ll spend time with my family. A few of my friends are coming back from the USA. I hope to meet them, too. My sister Rysa and I decorate a tree every year, 10 days before Christmas. We play Christmas songs and our dogs keep barking and trying to eat the tree (laughs). It’s a tradition now.

Do you think the pandemic has cast a shadow on festivals and the essence of togetherness they stand for?
No. In fact, I think we value the time we get to spend with our loved ones more than ever now. We’ve realised the importance of being together with people who matter.

Who would you say is your real-life Santa?
My dad (Chunky Panday; actor). When we were younger, we actually thought he was Santa. My dad is the sweetest father in the world. He always has a smile on his face and he has a Santa belly, too (laughs).

Food is an integral part of festivities. What are your favourite dishes?
When we were younger, we used to spend every Christmas with my chachi’s family, because they are Christians. They used to make yummy marzipans and cakes. Chicken cutlets, puffs and cupcakes, to this day, remind me of Christmas.

What’s your wish from Santa this year?
I wish for the world to be Covid-19 free. I wish to spend a lot more time with my friends and family. Even when things start getting busy, I want to find a balance between my personal and professional life.