Jaspreet Nijher (BOMBAY TIMES; December 26, 2021)

From a quiet Chandigarh girl to dazzling the world as Miss Universe 2021, Harnaaz Kaur Sandhu is back after representing India on the international platform. Now, the 21-year-old is eager to embark on her Miss Universe journey and head to the pageant’s headquarters in the US. Still dazed from her win, Harnaaz talks to us about how the title will actualise the causes she advocates, being a youth role model and, most importantly, eating makki ki roti made by her mother! Excerpts:

What was your first reaction on winning the crown?
I cried, and people around the world cried with me. It was so surreal. Previously, I had dreamt many times that I am standing at the exact spot where I was crowned, and the presenter is calling out, ‘India!’. But when it did happen, for a few moments it just didn’t sink in. Even before they called out India, I thought to myself, this should happen. We had worked so hard, and I have been supported so much by India, so it was time to shine.

Are you planning the future already or taking a break?
There is no time to rest yet. I am starting another exciting journey with the Miss Universe organisation, going to New York, and looking forward to being in Times Square. I am so eager to talk about the issues I have been advocating on an international platform — climate change, women empowerment and feminine hygiene — and to eventually implement those back home in India.

We saw you go from an 18-year-old Times Fresh Face contestant from Chandigarh in 2017 to Femina Miss India Punjab 2019, becoming a Punjabi actress, being crowned LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2021, and finally bagging the Miss Universe 2021 title. Did you plan your journey?
None of it was planned, it was all by accident. And the journey is still in process, not sure where I am going next. Through these years, I realised this is what I love doing. I discovered I am a good actor, and also loved being part of pageants.

Having been there myself, I know that these pageants can be such a turning point in life, and as a youth icon, I want to inspire them. And that is the real purpose of the crown.

What have been the biggest challenges in this journey?
Being a Punjabi, it is tough to be strict about diet since we are such foodies. In fact, recently I got allergic to gluten, and that has been and continues to be a huge challenge. Four years ago, I was a very shy person. I developed myself into being confident and did my homework well. There were times I felt like giving up, but then I reminded myself that I must stay on course, show resilience, especially in those weak moments.

You also struggled with body shaming when you were younger. What do you have to say now to those who shamed you?
Yes, I was body shamed for being too thin. But every time it happened, I realised that the only thing that matters is my impression of myself. It is more relevant how beautiful you are internally. You have to enjoy every part of you and accept your whole being for the universe to love you back.

From Gurdaspur to the Miss Universe stage, how have you handled the success, given that you are only 21?
I give myself permission to feel overwhelmed at times because life is going to be challenging even in the future, it’s just begun! No matter what happens, I will give it my best shot.

You’ve mentioned you want to visit the Golden Temple when you return home, what else are you looking forward to?
I am looking forward to spending time at home because I won’t get that again for long. My mom promised to make makki ki roti when I am home in Chandigarh. I am waiting for her to deliver on her promise (laughs).