Sanya Malhotra: Why would I say no when a part calls out to me?

Amused at netizens questioning her being cast as a Tamilian in Meenakshi Sundareshwar, Sanya says she did thorough homework before slipping into the role
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; November 3, 2021)

It’s a popular belief that long-distance relationships don’t work. Sanya Malhotra is putting the theory to test with Meenakshi Sundareshwar. “For some people, long-distance relationships work out. Things are tough, but there is a certain charm to people meeting after a long time. A couple wants to make the most of it when they meet,” begins the leading lady.

The Netflix film, also starring Abhimanyu Dassani, revolves around a newly-wedded couple who find themselves in a long-distance marriage. Malhotra says the vivacious character of Meenakshi prompted her to say yes to the Vivek Soni-directed venture. 

After the trailer dropped online, many called out the film for stereotyping Tamilians. The casting of Malhotra in the role of a Tamilian was another aspect that a section of netizens couldn’t digest. Amused, the actor points out that she started her career by playing a Haryanvi in the 2016 hit, Dangal. “I played a Gujarati in Photograph [2019], Punjabi in Badhaai Ho [2018] and Rajasthani in Pataakha [2018]. I’m glad to play characters from varied cultures. I am an actor, and my job is to work on my character. I will do my homework. I wasn’t a wrestler, but we learnt it before we stepped in front of the camera for Dangal. I can’t control what the audience thinks, but I will give my 100 per cent. Why would I say no when a part is calling out to me so strongly?”

She adds that she prepped thoroughly before slipping into the role. “Meenakshi is a Rajinikanth fan, so I watched a few of his films. I had to pick up one of his Tamil dialogues. My diction coach and some Tamilian crew members helped me out.”