Satish Kaushik says that this award has given him a push to tell more such compelling stories
Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 28, 2021)

Satish Kaushik is a happy man, having won his first National Award for his Haryanvi film Chhoriyan Chhoron Se Kam Nahi Hoti. The actor, who also produced the film, which is about a girl’s struggle to study and become an IPS officer, says the win has given him the impetus to back more such relevant stories.

“I’m very happy about it, also because our conviction worked. I believe Haryanvi films should come to the fore now... This is my first National Award, I’m very happy it’s in a language that is mine. It has boosted my morale to make more films in this language,” the 65-year-old tells us.

The film won Best Feature Film in Haryanvi language at the 67th National Film Awards. “It’s important for Haryana, as people are trying to break the notion about the state on difficulties girls face. We worked for a goal that this story should be told from Haryana... I belong to Haryana and still have my ancestral house there,” he adds.

Kaushik feels even after being in the business for over 40 years, a win is always special. “I’ve done everything, from acting, directing to production in films, TV and OTT. I am lucky that I am still here, working and relevant. Getting this recognition shows that people believe in you,” says the Kaagaz helmer.

Kaushik adds how Haryanvi language is gaining mainstream prominence, and Haryana is finding a place in several Hindi films, including Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015), Sultan and Dangal (both 2016), among others.

“Haryanvi cinema is now getting more popular. There is Haryana Film Policy, which aims to create awareness about cinema from the state,” says the the chairman of the Haryana Film Promotion Board, who plans to take things forward now.