Confident about The Good Road making it to the Oscar, says actor Ajay Gehi

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; September 6, 2021)

Years ago, Ajay Gehi bid adieu to the small screen after he landed a role in Maqbool (2003). Later, he went on to do films like Raavan (2010) while his Gujarati film The Good Road (2013) was the official foreign language film entry at the Oscars from India. After dabbling in films, the actor is now back on the small screen with the TV show Hero - Gayab Mode On.

Ajay says, “I have landed an interesting role; I play the antagonist. To be honest, I had never really said goodbye to television. After slogging for many years and with film projects not releasing due to several issues, I felt it was a mistake to have left television.”

Ask Ajay what went wrong with his film career and he says, “I can’t complain because I landed an important role with the talented Irrfan in Maqbool. Then I did Raavan and went bald for the film, only to find out that most of my scenes were edited when the film released. Most of my films, either did not release or the production ran into trouble. Since I had to keep my kitchen running, I started doing voice overs, stand-up comedy, singing and performing on digital and live platforms.”

Ajay adds, “There are examples of TV actors making it to films, but very few. Filmmakers cast us only when there is no other option left.”

However, Ajay is optimistic about the future. He says, “In a way, the pandemic has made people realise that there are hard-working actors like us, too. Thanks to television, my career is getting back on track again.”