The Bangladeshi actress speaks about attending the screening of her film Rehana Maryam Noor, Bangladesh’s first entry to Cannes
Shamayita Chakraborty (BOMBAY TIMES; July, 11, 2021)

In a traditional Dhakai jamdani saree and a metallic embellished halter-neck blouse, Bangladeshi actress Azmeri Haque Badhon was present at the 74th Cannes Film Festival. Badhon, along with filmmaker Abdullah Mohammad Saad and other team members, attended the festival with Rehana Maryam Noor, Bangladesh’s first entry to Cannes. The film follows the life of a medical professor who is pitted against deep-rooted patriarchy when she decides to fight for a young student who is a victim of sexual assault. “With the standing ovation that lasted for more than five-six minutes, I think my pain started to heal,” said Badhon. In a candid chat from France, she speaks about her struggle as a performer, her battle with depression and her journey to make a mark on a global platform. Excerpts:

Your traditional look has created quite a stir...
Yes, I chose to wear this saree at the premiere of our film. Later, at the festival photocall, I wore a maroon ensemble. We did not attend the main red carpet. It was a conscious call by Saad, our director. Traditionally, only the producer, director and the main actor/actress are invited to the opening night. Since most of our team members would have had to give it a miss, Saad decided we won’t go.

The film got a standing ovation at the festival...
I am proud to be able to represent Bangladesh on an international platform. The film is an achievement and also a part of the history of Bangladesh now. This milestone validates my struggle over the last three years. Today, the moment not only brings pride, but heals a lot of my pain and encourages me to work more.

How did it feel when you first got to know about the selection at Cannes?
I am a patient of chronic depression. The news and excitement that came along with it, triggered my depression and I had to take medication and start therapy. Truth is, this achievement was not an easy one — I had to go through intense struggle to get here.

Could you elaborate on the struggles that you speak of?
For the last three years, I have been trying to live an independent life. Before that I lived for others, abiding by all societal norms. In our society, it is taken for granted that an actress in her 30s is redundant. More so, if you have a child. I got married very early, soon after I finished my medical course (Badhon is a dental surgeon, who never practised). My life became very difficult after that. In 2014, I got divorced and about three years ago, suddenly the father of my child decided to claim my daughter’s (Sayera) custody. Anyway, I got the custody. My nine-year-old daughter is not travelling with me now. She is at home in Bangladesh.