Titas Chowdhury (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 11, 2021)

After a hiatus of three years since Yamla Pagla Deewana: Phir Se (2018), actor Dharmendra is gearing up to do what he loves doing the best — being in front of the camera. Exhilarated to be back, he says, “The camera is my love. I believe it loves me back. I’ve received so much from my audience because of it. Now that it has called me back, I’m elated.”

The recently announced Rocky Aur Rani Ki Prem Kahani, helmed by Karan Johar, will see the veteran actor playing a romantic hero. A close friend of the late filmmaker Yash Johar, Dharmendra looks forward to collaborating with the former’s son. “I begin shooting from August. I frequently catch up with Karan. But we never speak about work. It so happened that he narrated the story of the film to me. He has written something special; it’s true to life,” he shares.

The 85-year-old is also excited about his onscreen reunion with Jaya Bachchan, 46 years after Sholay (1975). He says, “Jaya will always be my Guddi. It’s so easy working with her. We’ve been part of some really special films. I miss those days when we worked together along with other artistes of our time. I’m sure we’ll have a blast and reminisce about old times.”

The Life In A... Metro (2007) actor will also star in Apne 2, where he’ll be sharing screen space with his sons, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol, and grandson, Karan Deol. “For me, Apne (2007) was the most emotional film. And with the sequel, we want to go a notch higher. I’m extremely happy to be working with Karan. He has the same passion like his father and me,” he ends.