Amyra Dastur shares how her father, a doctor, took Covid-19 head-on
Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 1, 2021)

Actor Amyra Dastur has a special reason to commemorate National Doctors’ Day, today, for her father, Dr Rohinton Dastur, has had an exemplary role to play in the country’s battle against Coronavirus. A former surgeon, the 67-year-old served as the medical director of a Mumbai hospital and led the situation from the front.

“My father decided to give up surgery at the age of 60, and became the medical director at a hospital in Mumbai. He was going to the hospital regularly during the pandemic, as he was responsible for restructuring the functioning of the hospital, like getting the Covid and non-Covid ward separated,” she tells us.

The 28-year-old is extremely proud of her father, who didn’t let anything, including his age, stop him from stepping out to do his duty, every single day.

“My dad is an absolute hero in my eyes,” she says, adding, “In the beginning, when nobody knew what it was, my mother was very stressed about dad going to the hospital every single day. I also asked why he was going out. I was worried, especially because of his age, as he’d be more susceptible to the virus. But, I remember he told me, ‘If I don’t go, how can I ask my staff and other doctors to come to the hospital?’ He led from the front.”

She reveals that initially, there were moments when her father, too, was scared, as no one knew the severity of the situation or intensity of the virus. “But, despite that fear, he said he needed to make sure that he takes care of patients every day and do his job. For that, I really admire him a lot,” says the Rajma Chawal (2018) actor.

Amyra admits she and her mum have faced their share of panic: “Even if he had a slight cough, my mum and I would freak out. I know a lot of doctors who’ve lost their lives. We are grateful that dad is fine.”

Now, after the second wave and the imminent third wave, the actor hopes the medical fraternity is taken care of. “They’re getting what they need, but at the cost of their lives. I wish we empower our medical infrastructure more and do more for the fraternity,” she concludes.