Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; July 9, 2021)

Ek Duuje Ke Liye was one of the biggest hits of the 80s. The film, which starred Kamal Haasan and Rati Agnihotri, catapulted its lead stars to instant fame. Interestingly, the latter’s son, actor Tanuj Virwani says that his family acquired the rights to Ek Duuje Ke Liye years ago.

Tanuj says, “Ek Duuje Ke Liye was a super hit film. It is an evergreen love story and a few years ago, we felt that it should be remade, so we bought the rights. The plan to remake it was in process, but I got busy with my OTT projects. As of now, the plan to make Ek Duuje Ke Liye 2 is on hold, but we plan to make it someday.”

Given his interest in remaking the film, it comes as a surprise when the actor says that he is not in favour of remaking cult movies. He says, “Honestly, I am not a fan of remakes. When a film becomes a big hit, it should be left alone. Unless you really have a great script, one should not tamper with it. I remember how a masterpiece like Shaukeen directed by the legendary Basu Chatterjee, which had my mother in an important role along with Mithun Chakraborty, Utpal Dutt and Ashok Kumar, was a big hit. Then it was remade (as The Shaukeens) and my mother had a cameo in it. While it was a good effort, I preferred the original film.”

Ask Tanuj if he is apprehensive about being compared to his mother and Kamal Haasan if he were to feature as a lead in the remake and he says, “Comparisons are a natural thing and bound to happen. Earlier, when I used to go for auditions, people knew me as Rati Agnihotri’s son and would compare me to my mother. If we remake the film, it is important that audiences connect with the script because content has changed a lot in the past 30 years and audiences’ tastes have changed, too.”