Uma Ramasubramanian (MID-DAY; July 7, 2021)

On Monday, news broke that TV actor Shagufta Ali has been facing a financial crunch, owing to lack of work and the rising cost of her medical treatment. As soon as word of her condition reached the Cine & TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA), the body sprang into action. 

Amit Behl, senior joint secretary, CINTAA, reveals that while they have initiated the process of offering financial assistance, the body also intends to seek Salman Khan’s help. “Being the self-respecting individual that Shagufta is, she was initially reluctant to take our help, but we’ve convinced her. We’ll also reach out to Salman Khan’s Being Human foundation on this matter,” he says.

Nupur Alankar, care committee (mental and physical Health Department), CINTAA, adds, “As per the CINTAA constitution, there is a limited amount [that former members are eligible for]. We have offered her the sum, and will manage the rest through fundraisers.”

Ali has been part of many popular shows, including Saans and Bepannaah, in her 36-year career. The actor, whose health deteriorated after she was diagnosed with diabetes, says that she initially refrained from seeking help as she struggled over the past four years. “On the work front, I’d get many scripts, but the projects would fall through at the last minute. My sugar level shot up, and I am on insulin. The diabetes has affected my eyesight so much that every 40 days, I have to get scans done. Basis the report, the doctor decides whether I should be given an injection in my eyes or opt for laser.”

The actor, 54, took the struggles on the chin, believing that the tough phase will pass. She adds that Neena Gupta, Sumeet Raghavan and Sushant Singh lent her a helping hand during her difficult times. “Johny Lever and several people called me yesterday [after learning of my condition]. Now, I have to gather myself and start working again.”
---------------------
Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 7, 2021)

The Coronavirus pandemic has led to work drying up, which meant no income flow for many artistes. Actor Shagufta Ali, unfortunately, is one of them and is in dire need of financial help. A popular face, she has been part of shows like Saans, Parampara and Junoon among others, and has been working since ’89. But due to her ill health, she hasn’t been able to work for the last four years. A cancer survivor, the actor had to sell her car and jewellery to makes ends meet.

“People close to me knew about my problems and the war I have been fighting. I have been a private person but my health issues and financial troubles have been many,” she says.

Right now, she needs help to pay her monthly bills and other expenses including treatment for diabetes and eyesight. Once better, she wants to start work. Cine & TV Artists Association (CINTAA) has reached out to her offering help. “I will accept their help but they, too, can’t do much beyond a point. I’m a self-made person and asking for help is my last resort,” she explains.

“This field is uncertain. Due to the pandemic, things are tough but five years ago, when I was active, the industry gave regular work. I haven’t acted in the last four years which has led to this tough situation,” she concludes.