Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; January 14, 2021)

It’s Makar Sankranti today and doting father Riteish Deshmukh has made plans to spend the auspicious day with his sons, Riaan and Rahyl. The festival is synonymous with flying kites and special homemade sweets, primarily lip-smacking tilgul (sesame and jaggery balls). “Though kite-flying happens mainly in Gujarat, it has been adapted well in Mumbai, too. My father (former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh) hailed from Latur where they didn’t emphasise so much on flying kites on that day, so I learnt it from my peers in Mumbai,” shares Riteish.

Reminiscing memories from childhood, he adds, “We used to stay at a government bungalow by the sea. As soon as I’d come home from school, I would rush to the terrace hoping to find kites that have been cut by manjha. My friends would also come over to fly kites, but more than flying them, we would be busy chasing kites that would come crashing into our space.”

Now, the actor hopes to teach the art of flying kites to his boys. He says, “My kids are at the age where they will understand the activity. Last year, we did try our hands at it, but this year, I am going all out to teach them to make kites and fly them.” He adds, “2020 has been tough for kids. They are at an age where they have to learn social skills and flying kites will prove to be a good exercise in that direction.”

Apart from the morning puja and flying kites, Riteish plans to indulge his sweet tooth, too. “I am looking forward to the festive food and will gorge on some tilgul, which are extremely healthy. Even our kids love to have them,” he says, signing off with the popular Makar Sankranti greeting in Marathi, “Tilgul ghya, god god bola.”