Niharika Lal (BOMBAY TIMES; November 27, 2020)

I MET CHHAYA SHARMA FOR TWO HOURS, BUT IT WAS NOT ABOUT REPLICATING HER ON SCREEN. IT WAS ABOUT CREATING VARTIKA CHATURVEDI AS A PERSON: SHEFALI SHAH, WHO PLAYED VARTIKA CHATURVEDI, DCP SOUTH
Shefali Shah's Vartika Chaturvedi is based on Chhaya Sharma, former DCP South, who led the probe. Shefali says, “I met her just once for two hours and I had so many questions about the investigation and she graciously answered all of them. Before me, Richie had met Chhaya mam, Neeraj Kumar (the then Commissioner of Delhi Police) and other officers several times and a lot of research went into creating the character of Vartika Chaturvedi. For me, it was not about replicating Chhaya Sharma. It was about creating Vartika as a person, but with the same values and the same work ethics.”

Shefali adds, “Not just now when the series has won Emmys, but Vartika Chaturvedi has always been very close to me. It is one of the most important characters of my life. I am extremely possessive and consumed by this role, I don't think you can leave behind a character like hers.”

Shefali says that when she landed at the Delhi airport to shoot this series, “I had this really strange feeling in my stomach because this was the city where this crime happened.” She says, “And when you go from the airport to the city, you cross all those areas where the crime had happened — Mahipalpur, Vasant Kunj bus stop — and it was so uncanny. In fact, when I left Mumbai to shoot for this series, I was told by the three men in my life — husband and two sons — to not go out at night. We were shooting at real locations, it was an uncanny feeling. There was this sense of dread that it all happened where we are shooting.”


WHAT I LEARNED FROM NEERAJ KUMAR WAS THE KIND OF PRESSURE THAT HE WAS GOING THROUGH: ADIL HUSSAIN WHO PLAYED KUMAR VIJAY, CP DELHI
Adil Hussain says that he is thrilled and feels vindicated that the series has won an Emmy. He says, “The most important aspect of this series is that it generates empathy. I remember in 2012, I was shooting in Delhi when we heard about this horrific crime. I was extremely disturbed and I was glad that people came out on the streets to question the police. But years later, when I did this series, I realised the work police was doing. The best part of art is that it makes you see the other side of the story. We must hold police accountable when they are not efficient, but at the same time, we must empathise with them.”

Talking about his role, Adil says, “I had met Neeraj Kumar and we had long sessions a couple of times. Basically, the easy part was that he or any of those people (investigating the case), who were in a prominent position at that time, were not public figures. Their faces and personalities were not known and that was to my advantage as in I didn’t have to fit in to a particular public image. I only had to maintain the dignity and the stature of the Delhi police commissioner. But what I learned from him (Neeraj Kumar) was the kind of pressure that he was going through to protect his subordinates and the bureaucratic pressure on him. Those things were what I understood from him.”

He adds, “I remember after the series was released, Chhaya Sharma told me that she liked my character and complimented me.”


I TRIED TO CAPTURE THE MAN BEHIND THE UNIFORM WHILE DOING THIS ROLE: RAJESH TAILANG, WHO PLAYED BHUPENDRA SINGH, INSPECTOR
Rajesh Tailang, who had worked with Richie Mehta before Delhi Crime, says that when they started working on this project, they didn’t of course imagine that it will get an Emmy. “Ek vision tha Richie ka, uss pe sab log saath mein kaam kar rahe thay. We, who are from Delhi, are emotionally attached to the series because we were here in 2012. Almost 20 years back, I used to direct India’s Most Wanted, so I had an idea of how the Delhi Police functions. My character is based on Rajendra Singh, whom I had met several times and that was my preparation for the character. Rajendra Singh has retired as ACP a month ago.”

Rajesh adds, “I tried to capture the man behind the uniform while essaying the role of Bhupendra Singh. Just because someone wears a uniform, it doesn’t mean that the person behind that uniform ceases to exist. He has his personal issues and is trying to strike a balance between his personal and professional lives. When we see police portrayal on screen, it is either Simmba or a villain. There is nothing in between.”

Rajesh says that he wanted to understand from police officials how they deal with the dichotomies they face. "Main yeh samajhna chahta tha ki main police ka hoon, aur criminal mere saamne hai. Saza dena toh police ka kaam nahi hai, woh court ka kaam hai. Kabhi kabhi aise cases aate hai ki woh (police) saza dena chahe, lekin woh law se bandhe hue hain. Toh aapka ek struggle hota hai — aapke emotions ke saath aur aapki duty ke saath. Aur ek public pressure hota hai ki aap turant saza de do. Ek achcha officer toh wohi karta hai jo in sab officers ne kiya iss case mein, ki aap ek full-proof case banao.”


SPENDING JUST FOUR DAYS AT A POLICE STATION WAS A LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE: RASIKA DUGAL, WHO PLAYED NEETI SINGH, A PROBATIONARY OFFICER
Rasika Dugal says that being Neeti Singh was a special experience for her. “It reminds me of my college days. The kind of idealism Neeti has, the kind of world view she has to make the world a better place with her sincerity and hard work — I used to have that idealism when I was a student of Delhi University at LSR. Neeti Singh makes me revisit that idealism.”

Talking about the preparation for her role, Rasika says, “I shadowed an IPS officer who was a probationer because Neeti Singh is at the same position. I felt it would help me understand what their day looks like, how they function and what are the things that they learn everyday when they are in training. So, I hung around with her. Just spending four days at a police station was a lifechanging experience. There are so many decisions that a police personnel has to take, so many people come for help. It was fascinating for me to be a part of that world even for four days.”

She adds, “As the show progressed, Neeti was also beginning to realise that the system is not as simple as she probably thought from the outside. There are many things that you have to negotiate, there are several disappointements, and your idealism takes a beating. I was very fortunate to find officers who gave me time and allowed me to be a part of their day.”

Rasika says the same officer whom she shadowed gave her feedback on the role. “When I called her after the show came out, she told me that ‘in terms of protocols, you got it absolutely right’ and as an artiste, it means a lot. Especially when playing a police officer, my desire is to get every detail right.” Rasika says that Delhi Crime gave her a chance to work with the most sensitive collaborators that she knows. She adds, “The kind of sensitivity that Richie brought to his writing and direction is something for which I have huge admiration for. Having had the opportunity to collaborate with people like this is a very special experience in my creative journey.”