Shreya Mukherjee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 1, 2020)

Kumar Sanu took to social media on October 16 to share the news that he had tested positive for Covid-19, leaving his fans, well-wishers and industry colleagues worried. Thankfully, the singer is now doing better and he tells us that his tryst with the virus was not an easy one, more so, because he was in Mumbai, away from family currently in the US.

“The fact that you have contracted Coronavirus isn’t easy to deal with. I was anxious and scared too, initially. Since I was alone, the first few days were all the more difficult. I was following instructions given by doctors, but I was worried given the kind of damage it has done to others,” he confesses. The 63-year-old shares though he had mild symptoms, he was told to be careful or the problem could aggravate.

“There was no fever, body ache or breathing trouble. I was doing fine till I lost my sense of smell first and then taste. The doctor asked for a chest CT scan. It showed infection in the lung and pneumonia tendencies. I was given medicines, put on a high protein and vitamin diet,” he recalls.

The singer had stepped out to record a few songs, and obliged fans for a few photos outside a studio. “Those photos were clicked from a distance. The thing about this virus is you can’t say where you can get it from,” he adds.

Sanu was all set to travel to the US to be with his family when this happened. He expresses gratitude to his doctors and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation for constantly checking on him. “My family was constantly in touch with me and my doctors. My wife (Saloni) and daughters (Shannon and Annabelle) did everything possible to cheer me up,” the singer says, adding, “staying near your loved ones in such times is an emotional anchor. I was missing my family most. I’ll be travelling to the US next week.”

He adds one can’t miss out on anything whether it’s meals or medicines or proper rest, and is upset about people not following safety precautions. “If a pandemic can’t teach you, I really don’t know what will. It’s my request to everyone to follow all norms,” he adds.