Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; November 8, 2020)

Bhumi Pednekar’s social media account makes it evident that the actress packed in a lot of work even during the lockdown. Gradually, as film shoots resumed Bhumi, too, went back to complete her upcoming film, Durgavati. She finished some patchwork scenes and dubbing for the movie recently. Talking about working in the new normal, Bhumi told BT, “The whole experience is something you get used to eventually. The first day when I stepped out, I was very cautious. Even now, I am absolutely aware of what is going on around me. I always wear a mask, wash my hands, sanitise the place and my things all the time. In fact, I behave like a school principal with people around me who don’t wear a mask. The fear of the Coronavirus pandemic didn’t vanish for me, but I learnt to smartly adapt to the situation, which is what human beings are supposed to do. I take my vitamins regularly and take steam thrice a day when I shoot on a set with people around me because I can’t wear a mask when I am in the frame. You have to find a way to work around this and do it responsibly.”

Emraan Hashmi in his recent chat with BT had said that it annoyed him that a lot of people on the streets pretend like the pandemic is over and don’t wear masks or follow safety protocols. To this, Bhumi said, “People not wearing a mask is a problem. A lot of educated people think it’s over. It’s strange that people get upset if you tell them to wear a mask. This pandemic has changed our lives forever, but we are not learning our lessons yet. I have bizarre conversations where people brush it aside like a basic cold or flu. Thankfully, the mortality rates have come down, but when a thing like COVID-19 happens, a lot of families can’t afford to have someone fall sick. A daily-wage earner’s family will find it expensive to deal with. Recovery toh hogi, but economic repercussions will have a major impact. So many people can fall prey to it (the virus) because one person acted irresponsibly. It upsets me when I see educated people brush it aside saying this is nothing.”