Neha Bhasin says she’s part of the system and hence, knows how disruptive it can be, but she was ‘not born to follow people’
Nikita Deb (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 7, 2020)

Singer Neha Bhasin is not one to mince her words. She has always stood up for things she believes in, and continues to be the same way despite the hurdles this brings in her career. Bhasin says that she knows the pros and cons of being this way and is okay with it.

“Breaking out of shackles and doing things your own way always comes at a price. There are pros and cons of being this way and the biggest pro is that your soul remains intact. This way, you can stay true to yourself as a person and as an artiste. But if I was with a label, I would be heavily marketed. Labels have a lot of muscle power to do wrong things the right way. Unfortunately, in our industry, everything is based on perception. Labels have years and years of content. So, they have a lot more muscle power because of the amount of content they have. But people perceive it as the artiste being very famous. I work in the system, so I know how disruptive the system is but having said that, unfortunately, I was not born to follow people,” says Bhasin, who has maintained a career in Bollywood music as well as in the indie circuit in a balanced manner.

The artiste adds that she likes doing things her way because she doesn’t work very well under other people’s authority. “I have too much of a mind of my own and I have too much of anger and rage in me as a person to take bullsh*t from anybody and I learned that very early on in my life. But unfortunately, I still feel the need to be included though I never do anything to achieve that. However, I think I have finally shed that expectation. I have realised that acha karo ya bura karo, duniya toh bolti rahegi and they will always have their own opinion about you. Toh duniya ke liye nai kar sakte kuch bhi. I am here to live by example. I practice what I preach and I put my money where my mouth is,” says the Dil Diyan Gallan (Tiger Zinda Hai; 2017) singer.

Having said that, Bhasin is happy that things have become better now. “Streaming platforms are featuring my songs now, and radio stations are also somewhat playing my tracks. I have had to wait it out but ab shayad logon ko thoda samajh aa raha hai,” says the singer who has released a new track titled Kehnde Rehnde, which speaks against cyber bullying.

Talking about the song, she says, “It was definitely one of the best experiences. Although there are some limitations in the video, this single is a 100% in sync with who I have always wanted to be as a pop star. And I enjoyed performing unabashedly in the video. The pandemic definitely made things more difficult than it was supposed to be. Actually, we were talking for a month, and we were supposed to make the video in a much smaller scale, but the director was in Goa, so we decided to shoot it there. It was the first flight I took after seven months so I was obviously scared. But it was really good to get away as we’ve been locked in our houses for so long. It was good to see people and I am just glad that I got to do this. But it was definitely difficult,” says the Dhunki (Mere Brother Ki Dulhan; 2011) singer.