Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 7, 2020)

“I am careful to not repeat myself and sometimes, I let go of projects just so that I don’t end up stereotyping myself,” says actor Mrunal Thakur, who has diligently worked towards choosing different roles in her three-year-long career. From the acclaimed portrayal of Sonia in Love Sonia (2017) to her monologue in Super 30 (2019), to playing a no-nonsense journalist in Batla House (2019), the actor has reiterated that she will always choose well fleshed out solid parts even when she isn’t playing the titular character like in her debut film Love Sonia.

Thakur says, “For an actor today, exhibiting their range is the most important thing to do. The industry’s storytelling landscape has changed and the usual templates of hero-heroine-villain is gone for good. In such times, it’s important to explore various genres and characters.”

Having transitioned from television to films, Thakur has been part of projects where she could showcase her versatality. She will be seen in the Bahubali origin series for a popular OTT, where she headlines as Sivagami. She also has a number of movies lined up — Toofaan, Jersey, Aankh Micholi, Thadam and Pippa.

Thakur adds, “Pigeonholing is common and when something works, people just expect you to keep repeating that. I know how that ends in saturation, for the viewers and me. I consciously pick different films and genres. I don’t want anyone to have a set notion of what I am capable of. I am an actor and I can do anything that my story demands from me.”