Emraan Hashmi says that despite the advantages, he had to prove himself and work his way up “from a supporting actor to a leading man”
Shreya Mukherjee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 8, 2020)

Describing the somewhat bleak times that the film industry is going through amid all the negative narratives, Emraan Hashmi calls it a “one of a kind” situation. The actor feels a lot of things are being “misconstrued”, and therefore “misunderstood”. He says, “I hope this would neither have a long term effect on Bollywood nor will it dent aspirations of those who want to join it.”

Reacting to the legal suit filed by film bodies and producers against a section of media for allegedly defaming reputation of Bollywood, Hashmi adds that it’s “because of a handful” that many are suffering in both media and entertainment industries.

He explains, “Breaking news is a very lucrative part of 24-hour news culture. Unfortunately, that breaking news has become more tabloid oriented. Celebrities and stories about them have always been a popular pick for prime time breaking news. It’s time that issues like the pandemic and the economy are given more coverage.”

 Weighing in on the nepotism debate that has caught fire again, Hashmi has always maintained that it’s because of his uncle, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, that he got an entry into Bollywood. However, he is quick to label these never ending discussions as ridiculous. “I’m all for equal opportunities, which is only fair. But I’m not going to be apologetic if I’m a part of a film family. And if I want someone to carry my legacy forward, I would want my son to do it. Why would I give it to someone else?” reasons the actor.

So, does this mean the actor is alight if tomorrow his son, Ayaan, wants to become an actor? Hashmi says, “I would support Ayaan if he wants to join this industry. I’d tell him to care two hoots about who says what. He may have an entry point but he’ll have to work hard to prove himself.”

Hashmi also points out that it’s not like those who’re a part of film families don’t have to work hard to achieve their dreams. “I think it’s an uphill task for someone who’s a star son/daughter because it comes with huge responsibility and pressure. Also, in Bollywood, there are more actors who’ve come from outside and are successful,” he asserts.

Looking at this journey, while Hashmi admits he had a “certain access” yet, he says it has been “a bumpy ride”. He says, “That access came as a huge responsibility because I wasn’t anyone’s son, no one was putting money on me as a leading man. In my first opportunity, I got to play a supporting role and it was made clear that I’ve to prove my credentials to move forward. And I had to work my way up from a supporting actor to a leading man.”

Hashmi understands that it’s not enough if one is just a good actor. “You need to have commercial success, too. Thankfully, for me, Murder and some more films worked. But I had my share of failures too. It’s all about journey,” concludes the actor.