Vaani Kapoor, even though ambitious, is content with the pace of her career as she only wants to do good cinema
Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 5, 2020)

This year may have been a slow one for most of us across industries because of the pandemic, but things are looking quite busy for actor Vaani Kapoor as her career has gathered steam. She recently wrapped up the shoot of Bellbottom in Scotland — the first film to be shot and finished amid the pandemic — and she has two more projects in her kitty: Shamshera, and Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui. Naturally, she is thrilled!

“I’ve always said that I want to do so much more. There’s a lot of ambition. As an actor, I have a lot of dreams about being part of cinema where I can maybe lead a film, drive an entire film on my shoulders,” Kapoor says.

However, aware of how things function in Bollywood, she admits, “For that to happen, maybe I need to create enough body of work for people to take notice of me, because let’s face it, nothing comes that easy. It’s the harsh truth of life. You have to wait it out, take the right decisions.”

The actor, who made her Bollywood debut with Shuddh Desi Romance (2013), feels that after the success of her film WAR (2019), she has a much “clearer vision” of how her career should shape up. “The reason why I haven’t signed too many films is because I wanted to do good work, be seen in incredible films, even if I’m not the person who’s driving the narrative,” the 32-year-old says, explaining the slow and steady course of her journey.

Kapoor adds her intention is to only be part of films that make a mark, so that she gets noticed and can be a part of more such projects. “That’s exactly how I managed to get signed by Abhishek Kapoor (director of Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui). He gave me such a meaty and amazing part in his film because he saw me in Befikre (2016). He told me that he loved me in that film. He later saw me in WAR, which is why he could consider me for this. So, I believe that not everything comes easy. One just has to be patient, and sometimes it’s about timing,” says the actor.