Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 27, 2020)

This year has changed many lives in ways good and bad, be it the lockdown, staycations, job losses or work from home. But singer Papon is confused about “what is going on with the virus”. He says, “The Coronavirus pandemic has shaken us, pushed us to rethink life. Everyone dealing with a financial crisis will have to improvise, rethink in a good way and stay positive. We will have to learn to fine-tune our lives.”

Papon is enjoying doing household chores, which he says he “missed”, and is experiencing the village life with his kids. “I want my kids to know nature up close so we have been fishing, gardening, and going on walks,” says the singer, who has been in a Goan village for three weeks and plans to stay there for the next three months.

“I think there is a shift happening in the universe and there are many predictions about the future. It’s been weird. What I am focused on is stuff around me, so I feel good and make good music, that will radiate good energy and have a ripple effect. To each his own, just do good and feel good,” muses the 45-year-old.

While Bollywood has been in the eye of several controversies, around nepotism and insiders vs outsiders, the music industry hasn’t been too far behind. Several musicians were accused of buying social media followers. “I have never been into numbers. ‘Numbers of views determine if your song is good or not’, is something I don’t understand,” Papon says, adding, “I wish we were back in the world of tapes and cassettes, instead of YouTube views.”

The singer feels a musician should be connected to their music. “I am scared to sing some numbers as I don’t sing songs I don’t feel connected to. Moreover, I have a unique voice, I take time to do stuff and can’t keep singing lots of songs. I feel there is a design for everyone in this world and you should work towards it to make it more powerful. I am happy with all the love and respect I get,” he adds.