The actor is happy with whatever recognition he has received in India, says that he can’t force people here to appreciate him for his international laurels
Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 9, 2020)

He’s among those few actors from Bollywood who’s consistently doing noteworthy work in Hollywood, and Ali Fazal is quite content with how his career is shaping up in both the Hindi film industry as well as the West.

Asked if the thought ever crosses his mind that he remains less celebrated in Bollywood and Fazal says, “That’s fine. We’ll come around that. We’re artistes at the end of the day. I’ll not stop doing the work.”

The actor, who’ll be seen in Kenneth Branagh’s Death On The Nile, cites the example of late actor Irrfan, who juggled Bollywood and Hollywood projects. Calling the late actor an inspiration, Fazal says, “Irrfan bhai never pito-ed dhindhora about his work. His Hollywood film Puzzle (2018) is so good. And even I had the same question that why don’t people talk about his work more.”

But Fazal, 34, isn’t one to dwell on the negatives, and is looking forward to breaking the boundaries with each of his roles in Hollywood projects. “Yahaan par we celebrate all my other work and that’s beautiful for me. I think we don’t realise that the world on the other side is very different and I don’t believe in banging drums all across about my work,” he reasons.

The actor has faith in the audience and hopes that they’ll see the hard work that he has been putting into his craft. “My film Victoria & Abdul (2017; with Judi Dench) was nominated at the Oscars and the BAFTAS and I got to hang out with Gary Oldman and likes. I can’t come back to India and say, ‘please appreciate me’,” he says.

Fazal notes that whatever may be the case back home, nothing can take away the fact that Indian actors are breaking boundaries internationally. “Right now, I’m at a stage where blind casting happens for me. We’ve always been typecast in roles for Indians. In Death On The Nile, my origin isn’t defined. I’m totally British in that. That’s the beauty of this world. We get to tell stories and dissolve ourselves in that,” concludes the actor.