As told to Akash Bhatnagar (MUMBAI MIRROR; November 11, 2020)

I was 18 and had just started modelling when I got a call for a Kannada film, Gilli. Since I had schooled in Delhi, I didn’t even know the South film industry existed and wasn’t sure if I wanted to act. I said “no” initially but then, one day, dad prophesised that I’d be a star so I accepted the offer for some pocket money and to buy a car for myself.

I was doing Honours in mathematics at the Jesus And Mary College, Delhi University, and landed in Bengaluru a day before the film was to roll because I didn’t want to get into trouble over my attendance. There was no time for any training or prep. The first shot was of me walking besides the hero who’s on a bike, telling him not to follow me around. I was unprepared and bad but it was fun facing the camera. I crammed my lines and parroted them. Everyone was impressed because I was speaking Kannada so well. They had no idea I was a master at cramming since I was in school.

People liked it and since I enjoyed it too, I decided to become an actress but this time I wanted to do it properly. Since I’d skipped a lot of classes, I decided to get my degree first, and continued modelling on the side.

In 2011, I moved to Mumbai after taking part in the Miss India contest. The same year, in December, I auditioned for Yaariyan, and in April 2012 I got the call. The film started in October. We were all newcomers but it was with a big production house. We kicked off with the song “A for Aao Re Aao”. It was a fun shoot as we had all got to know each other having gone through a two-month workshop. Yes, there were some first day jitters as I was only 20 and this was my first Hindi film. But soon the pressure eased and it was like a party.

I’d told my parents I’d give myself two years to crack it, else return to Delhi and pursue higher studies. Two days after I finished Yaariyan, I started shooting for my Telugu film. It was supposed to release after Yaariyan, but eventually opened three months before it. By the time Yaariyan released, I had signed many Telugu films and was working down South, not realising you had to be in Mumbai to get work here. I got a lot of love and good work there. I was sure I would never be a failure and in a few years Bollywood beckoned.