Ashiesh Roy. Picture/Roy's Facebook account
BOMBAY TIMES (November 25, 2020)

Ashiesh Roy passed away yesterday at his house, after battling a serious kidney ailment. The 55-year-old actor, who featured in several TV shows like Sasural Simar Ka, Jeannie Aur Juju, Tu Mere Agal Bagal Hai, Mere Angne Mein and films such as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero, Home Delivery, MP3 and Barkhaa among others, was in the news when he had admitted himself into a hospital for dialysis on May 14 this year. Soon after, he appealed to people in a post on social media, requesting monetary help for his treatment.

In an interview with BT at that time, Ashiesh had expressed a desire to get back to work as soon as possible, as he didn’t want to be dependent on anyone. He said, “I just need time and money to recover. I know that I can get back to work, and so, I am requesting my industry friends to help me with that. I don’t mind playing any character, I just need to keep going.”

Amit Behl, actor and Senior Joint Secretary, CINTAA, was one of his close friends. He said, “Ashiesh and I have known each other since 1992. We have travelled and done theatre together for so many years. We also did five TV shows. We used to call him James Bond.”

Commenting on the late actor’s multiple health issues, Amit added, “He was facing financial problems, so CINTAA and a few friends helped him, but his health had deteriorated. He was single and living alone, and due to his health issues in the past few months, he had lost the will to live. I am extremely sad and affected by this as I have lost a dear friend.”

Ashish’s close friend actor Sooraj Thapar told BT, “It was during the lockdown that he fell sick and had to be hospitalised. Though I couldn’t meet him due to safety restrictions, I was constantly in touch with him over the phone. He was in dire need of money and I know that people came forward to support him. He was a lovable person. I will miss him deeply as an actor and as a brother.”