Raveena Tandon. Image sourced from mid-day archives
Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; October 29, 2020)

Popularly known as the Shehar Ki Ladki of the 90s, Raveena Tandon, who turned a year older recently, celebrated her birthday with some colleagues in Dalhousie. The actress is currently shooting for a project in the hill station. In a chat with BT, she talks about her quiet birthday celebration, making movies in the new normal and how swiftly cinema and content are adapting to the times. Read on:

Hollywood actress Susan Sarandon said, “I look forward to being older, when what you look like becomes less and less an issue and what you are is the point.” Do you identify with the thought?
I have never worried about the way I look. I believe in keeping myself mentally strong, physically fit and constantly being on the move. I have always felt confident and it’s rightly said that as you grow older, you become more comfortable in your own skin. You don’t care about what anyone is going to think about what you’re wearing or how you are looking. This year has been a tough one for everyone, so obviously, my birthday was different, too. I was away from my family, but work is my passion and I am happy I spent my birthday shooting in Dalhousie.

How have you adapted to the new normal, personally and professionally?
While one needs to be cautious, I was never reluctant to step out for work in the current situation. I was waiting to get back on the set and shoot. It is a little risky, but when precautions are taken, you feel safe. Eventually, we do have to accept the new normal. One has to learn to adapt, accept and push oneself to move ahead.

As an actress, who has had a career spanning 29 years, do you feel there are more avenues and author-backed roles for senior actors now?
Our film industry has become more progressive and stronger in comparison to the past. We are all getting a lot more experimental now, especially with the introduction of other alternative platforms. I think cinema has broadened its horizon. There was a taboo around 15 years ago that a married actress would not get meaty roles. It’s passé now because if you’re talented and a valued actor then you get good roles.

Over the past few years, Bollywood had gradually veered towards more content-rich films. Post the pandemic, do you feel that the focus will be even more on cinema that’s high on content?
One can’t help but agree that nothing works better than formula films. Yes, content is definitely the king and our audience is really smart today, considering they can sense what a film is all about by watching the trailer. However, at the same time, they do want to watch movies that entertain them. I don’t see formula films becoming fewer, because at the end of the day it is all about entertainment. Meanwhile, experimental content has been viewed a lot during lockdown months. It’s definitely going to be a great time for cinema in the future.

On the personal front, what do you and your husband Anil Thadani enjoy doing together? What are your common pursuits?
This year, we haven’t travelled at all. Otherwise, Anil and I love travelling and discovering new places. Our travel revolves around wildlife and history. I love a place for its rich culture, heritage and history. I’m a wildlife buff, so I enjoy wildlife photography. Recently, I had an exhibition of my pictures, the proceeds from which were given to a forest. We also enjoy beaches and exotic places when we holiday together.