Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; August 1, 2020)

Back in May, during Ramadan Eid, we were all in complete Coronavirus lockdown mode. Actress Zareen Khan says that while Eid (Bakra-Eid) today will also be celebrated at home with family, she is happy that they can add a little more to the celebration in this unlock phase. “I am happy that we are in unlock mode at this time. I know that large gatherings are not allowed, so, I am expecting just a few close ones to come over,” says Zareen, who stays with her sister, mother and maternal grandfather in Mumbai. Recalling some special memories of the festival, she shares, “Every Eid, we visit my mom’s sister, who also stays in Mumbai. She is a fantastic cook and so, the routine is, eat, sleep and repeat (laughs!).”

However, this time around, the actress has decided to give this tradition a miss. “This year, we are spending time at home, as my mom is a little unwell. But, she is going to cook dum biryani and our all-time favourite, sheer khurma. I am looking forward to it.”

Zareen further says that she misses her childhood days, when her cousins and would compete to collect Eidi. “As an adult, you are expected to give Eidi to the younger ones. As kids, we would be happy even if someone gave us Rs. 50 or Rs. 100. But, it’s hard to please kids today, they won’t accept Rs. 100 as Eidi (laughs!),” she shares.

On the work front, Zareen, who will be seen in a Hindi film and a Punjabi movie, is hoping for things to get back to normal. “Over the past few months, work has come to a standstill. I don’t know if and when my projects will start, as everyone has suffered a financial setback. I have to support my family financially, and I have been fortunate enough to get my payments on time. I did chase the team of one particular project to get my dues cleared, but luckily, I managed to get my money,” she says.