Actor Emraan Hashmi on his journey in Bollywood, and what his son taught him about life
Suman Sharma (TIMES LIFE; March 29, 2020)

Looking back, do you have any regrets?
I’m proud of whatever I have done. I don’t have any regrets. What I’m today is because of certain films. I gained from that kind of cinema. There are many films, which you feel were not made for you or were not made as they should have been made. But that’s a learning process. How will you grow if you do not make mistakes? You have to do justice to whatever comes your way.

Given the competition around, do you feel insecure as an actor?
I don’t feel insecure ever because the industry is a big place. It always welcomes talent. Today, so many new avenues have opened up. All kinds of films are being made. The medium doesn’t matter. What matters is talent. If you have talent, you’ll get opportunities. There’s work for all. In fact, we should learn from the newcomers. They bring in fresh ideas.

What do newcomers have today that you did not possess when you began?
The current generation has got more exposure. What my son, Ayaan, grasps from watching films is much more than what I did as a youngster. He has access to the OTT platforms, YouTube, social media... I was born in the ’80s, when there was only one channel, Doordarshan. We absorbed whatever we could from it. Satellite TV came in later. When youngsters are exposed to so much stimulation, they are bound to create wonders.

Is it frustrating to wait for a good script to come your way?
There’s no frustration as such. You just have to keep on working, putting in efforts to enhance a film. Slowly, you’ll start getting the films to your liking. The more you learn; the more your acting will improve. I never felt frustrated. My films could be hits or flops, the industry always gave me work. I didn’t have to sit at home. Also, I can make the films I want through my production house.

Turning point in your career...
Every film is a turning point. The route is never linear. You can never predict your next Friday. Personally, the birth of my son was a turning point for me.

How have you changed as a person over the years?
As a person, I’m the same as I was 10 years ago. But you develop a world view. You evolve as a human being. My perception has changed towards people, towards films… It’s difficult to put it in words. You change along the course of your profession. You change after marriage, after parenthood. When you experience the death of a close one, you change. Experiences surely change you.

Has the way you look at life also changed after Ayaan’s fight with cancer?
Yes. Earlier, I thought too much about the future. But all that has changed now. Today, I’m satisfied with what I have. I live in today. I experience every moment and try to live it fully. My attitude is to take one day at a time, to behave responsibly and with discipline. Parenthood has taught me responsibility. As teenagers, we lack balance. At 20, I used to run away from responsibility. You turn accountable when you marry, and more so, when you become a parent.

Which of your films does Ayaan enjoy?
He has not seen any of my films. I don’t wish to show them to him. (Laughs) All my films are censored as he’s just 9 years old. Ayaan wants to become an actor. The atmosphere around him is such... but for now, he has to study, enjoy life and experience it. When he turns 20, he will understand things better. Most probably, cinema will be different then. He may even change his mind. But yes, he has to keep a back-up plan ready. Life is unpredictable here. I did not have a back-up plan. That’s a terrifying thought. Thankfully, things turned out good for me.