Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; March 28, 2020)

Yesterday, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar tweeted that the 80’s mythological show, Ramayan, will be re-telecast from today, keeping in mind the ongoing 21-day nationwide Coronavirus lockdown. One episode each will be aired at 9 am and 9 pm on DD National.

The Ramanand Sagar-directorial was immensely popular in the 80s and its rerun, too, is likely to garner a good viewership. We spoke to the show’s lead actors, Arun Govil and Dipika Chikhlia Topiwala, who continue to be synonymous with the characters of Ram and Sita, on what they think about the rerun.

An elated Arun Govil said, “Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan connected with the audience then and will continue to do so, even now. I feel that the show has been blessed by god himself; otherwise, why would it get revived after so many years? It is important for people to connect with the Almighty and seek divine intervention in these difficult times. If the show helps people seek god and follow His teachings, it is good. Also, since it’s a family show, the entire family can watch it together. This will help people spend time in a positive way, not obsessing over negative thoughts, and connecting with the deeper meaning of the teachings of Ramayan.”

The actor is particularly happy that his grandson, who has already watched the show, will again get to watch it on TV. He said, “My grandson finds it strange to watch me on television when I am sitting right next to him. I am very happy that every generation can find a connect with Ramayan.”

When asked how he is coping with the lockdown, Arun Govil replied, “There is no house help, and we are doing all our daily chores ourselves. My wife and I haven’t stepped out for days, our son gets the medicines and groceries. We are waiting for the situation to improve.”

On her part, Dipika Chikhlia Topiwala told us, “My phone has not stopped ringing since the news was announced. The rerun will help people not just in bigger cities, but even in villages, to connect with the show again. This time around, even the newer generation will get to watch it. The production values and techniques might have improved today, but our dialogues, execution, story and casting were so unique that it is still the best version of Ramayan. When my daughters were younger, they found it strange that I was staying in the jungle with my husband in the show! I am happy the show is back on national television; it reaffirms the fact that the original Ramayan struck a chord with masses like no other show.”

The actress also appealed to the people to stay at home. She said, “It’s a gloomy situation and we haven’t stepped out for days. If need be, my husband steps out to buy the essentials.”


--------------------------
IN HIS LAST DAYS, MY FATHER WATCHED THE ENTIRE SHOW AGAIN: VINDU DARA SINGH

Vindu Dara Singh, son of actor and wrestler Dara Singh, says his father played Lord Hanuman to perfection. He is happy that the newer generation will get to watch his dad’s performance. He said, “My father played Hanuman thrice — first in the movie Jai Bajrang Bali (1974), then in Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan and finally in B R Chopra’s Mahabharat. After that, so many actors, including me, played Hanuman on screen, but I don’t think that anyone has been able to connect with masses the way he did. It is a great blessing that after so many years, the show is going to be telecast again.”

He added, “During his last days, I asked my father if any of his wishes were unfulfilled. After a lot of persuasion, he said, ‘ Chal Ramayan laga de, I will watch it again’. He used to watch the show with great interest and finish five episodes in one day, it was one of his last wishes. My father had a tough time playing the character. After getting into the costume, he couldn’t eat anything and would just sip nariyal pani the whole day. Such was his commitment and hard work.”