Prashant Singh (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 21, 2020)

The tone of remorse is quite unmissable as Rani Mukerji says birthdays would never be the same, with her father [late Ram Mukherjee] not being around. As the actor rings in her 42nd birthday, today, she’s also set to complete 25 years in the industry, later this year, calling for double celebrations. Considering how short the shelf life of Bollywood female actors is, Mukerji’s successful and relevant run is no mean feat.

“At this stage, I want to be clear as to what’s driving me to do a film. What’s the reason I choose to do a certain film. Is it because I just want to be part of a project or really want to tell that story. That’s why a lot of my heart and soul went into the Mardaani films and Hichki,” says Rani. Excerpts:

What’s the plan for today?
Just to spend the day with my daughter [Adira] and husband [filmmaker Aditya Chopra]. For me, birthday is a day that I spend with my family. The only thing I miss is my father [late Ram Mukherjee] not being around, and it’s something I have had to deal with since last year. That’s why I couldn’t celebrate my birthday last year. I couldn’t feel the same way with my father not being there.

What do you miss the most about him?
Since childhood your parents are the first people to wish you [on birthdays]. But for the first time in my life, I wasn’t going to get that call from him or I wouldn’t see him around, and that was a bit too much for me to take. So, last year, on my birthday, I just shifted to my new house and my daughter made me a beautiful card which I will always remember but the pain will remain. My birthdays will never be the same from now, as I will always miss my dad. You can’t replace your parents.

On a lighter note, would you call yourself a ‘birthday person’?
Absolutely! I am a full-on birthday person — with balloons, cakes, samosas, chips and decorations etc. That’s why I take out all my bhadaas on my child (laughs). On her birthdays, I do everything what I couldn’t do myself because I remember a lot of times I would be studying for exams during my birthdays. So, I never celebrated them in a crazy manner.

Any special memory related to your birthday?
I remember my dad had given me my first-ever watch. At that time, I was in school but that memory is still very fresh.

You are close to completing 25 years as a Bollywood actor. How does it feel?
Honestly, what I find immense happiness in is when somebody tells me that I’m looking the same (laughs). That makes me feel happy as I don’t want anyone to ever feel that I have been here [working in Bollywood] forever. I want everybody to discover me in a new way with each of my films. And that’s actually the power of an actor where I can redefine myself with every film, so that people always see a new me.

At this stage of your career, what does success mean to you?
For me, success means to have the opportunity to do more work. As we all know, our industry is driven by success, and that more opportunities are given to those actors who audiences want to see. That’s why, success empowers actors like us in terms of choosing the kind of films we want to do. Also, it gives other people the confidence to work with you.

You are back in the world of Bunty Aur Babli with its sequel. How has it been?
It’s been amazing because Babli’s character has always been very close to my heart. So to reprise that role has been super fun. I am having a really good time especially after doing 2-3 back-to-back heavy films that had really relevant and important topics. But Babli gives me the freedom of being carefree. So, I am really enjoying it. I am looking forward to what my fans have to say when they watch the film.