Riya Sharma (BOMBAY TIMES; November 17, 2019)

Goodwill Ambassador UN Environment Dia Mirza spent Children’s Day interacting with corporates and children in Delhi. While the first half of her day was focussed on discussing climate change and the steps we can take to improve the situation, the second part of her day was spent with children who have been protesting against the rising pollution and climate change in the city.

‘CHILDREN DON’T JUST ASK QUESTIONS, THEY WANT TO HELP US FIX PROBLEMS, TOO’
While speaking at a panel discussion on environment, Dia said, “It’s wonderful that we have gathered here on Children’s Day. We could not have not chosen a better time to be together. Even though we are here to discuss air pollution, I won’t be talking about it too much. There is a very strong rhetoric that is floating around and it really bothers me. I have been hearing people say that climate activists, and activists in general, are misusing children for politics. I am sorry about my language, but that is absolute bullshit because children are rising on their own. They know the truth and they speak the truth. They speak plainly, they ask simple questions, they only want to know what we are doing to do to fix these problems. And the great part about this is that they are not only asking us the right questions, but they are also saying that they want to work with us to fix these problems that pose a threat to us.”

Dia said, “I also want to address something I have been feeling very deeply about. I am anguished. I am here to awaken the child in you and remind you, like I do myself every day, that it is okay to feel pain and anxiety, but it is not okay to do nothing about it. So the question is, how can we become responsive and not reactive?”

“I am an ’80s child, and that was the time the alarm bells of climate change had started to ring. Scientists were showing us how the weather conditions were changing because of human activities and how it was not just killing the planet but people, too. What is amazing about this planet is that is has a natural self-repairing system that can actually regenerate and heal itself, if human beings are willing to assist that regeneration. In my opinion, that is what we really need to focus on. That is what sustainable goals are. It is about acknowledging that we have a problem and asking, ‘What can I do?’” she added.

‘CHILDREN ARE EMPATHETIC, AWARE & THEY DON’T GIVE UP’
After speaking at the panel discussion, Dia went on to spend her evening with children from various environment groups. #FridaysForFuture, Cuckoo About Nature and children from different schools came together and spoke to her about how their daily activities are being affected because of the poor air quality.

While speaking to the kids, Dia asked, “There are so many grown ups in the country and the world who have been saying that children are being used in the climate movement in a negative way. Do you agree with what they are saying?” When the kids replied in negative, she asked, “And why is that?” And they replied, “Because it is our choice.”

Continuing the discussion, Dia shared, “Before coming here, I was speaking at an event in a room full of corporates about air pollution. And there, I discussed the importance of children when it comes to the fight against climate change. They are special because they are aware, they are intuitive, empathetic, pro-active and they don’t give up.”

Ahan Sharma, an 11-year-old, said, “It is sad that the day that is meant to celebrate us is the day when we are talking about air pollution. I came here today because I am sick of air pollution and care for my environment. I can’t attend my football practice. I love football and I can’t play outside.”

Aman Sharma, a 16-year-old, added, “One day that is meant to celebrate kids is a day that the kids can’t enjoy anymore. We have started several initiatives to save our environment, but our commitment and patience should not be taken as our weakness.”