Believe it or not, this time around the two will be seen together in a film, which will be written and directed by Jasleen’s father, Kesar Matharu
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; October 16, 2019)

After their stint in Bigg Boss last year, bhajan samrat Anup Jalota is all set to team up again with his student Jasleen Matharu, for a film titled Vo Meri Student Hai. It’s a take on their real life and Jalota will play a singer, while Jasleen will play his student.

Talking about it, Jalota says, “Last year, Diwali ke pehle ek dhamaaka kiya tha Bigg Boss mein participate karke. Aur ye film iss Diwali ke pehle ka dhamaaka hai. It will clear a lot of misconceptions in the minds of people about my equation with Jasleen. In the film, she comes to learn music from me and I will be seen asking her to dress up more appropriately, as I am from a traditional music background.”

That’s art imitating life! Jalota agrees, “In real life too, I keep telling her and my other students the same thing. I have no issues with anyone wearing clothes of their choice, but certain situations demand a certain kind of dressing. I, too, wear shorts in real life, but I don’t wear them to my class when I am teaching students. We have to respect the platform.”

During Bigg Boss, Jalota was romantically linked with Jasleen, which the singer clarified repeatedly. He says, “Zero per cent relationship tha, aur na ho sakta hai. We are different people. I can be with a person who is my type, like how my wife Medha was. Jasleen aur mere beech mein kuchh nahi hai and this film will showcase that. I remember, when I stepped out of Bigg Boss, my mother asked me, ‘Who is Jasleen?’ So, not many people were aware of her presence in my life. That goes to show that there was nothing between us. I have even mentioned that Jasleen ka kanyadaan uske papa aur main milke karenge.”

On her part, Jasleen says, “I knew Anup ji from earlier, but the time we spent inside the house will always be precious and important, as we got to know each other better. Till date, people wonder about our relationship and speculations don’t cease. Yeh cheez khatam hi nahi hui hai. After Bigg Boss, I told everyone that I had just played a prank on the show and we have a gurushishya equation, but people didn't believe me. People ask Anup ji, ‘Bhabiji ko nahi lekar aaye?’ and they ask me, ‘Jijaji kaise hain?’ or ‘Aapke pati kaise hain?’ There are many who have a relationship beyond the guru-shishya equation, but hamara bilkul bhi nahi hai. This film is our last hope to clear the air.”

Interestingly, Jalota will also be seen rapping in the film, a break away from his image. He says, “It’s a dream sequence when Jasleen imagines how it would be to perform with me on stage in her style. I will be rapping for the first time. Ab agar log rapping ke liye bulaayenge toh bhajan ke saath woh bhi kar denge (laughs!).”

And guess what? The film has been written and directed by Jasleen’s father, Kesar Matharu. She says, “Post Bigg Boss, even my father didn’t believe me at first and was confused when I told him that it was just a joke. But eventually, I made him understand. We discussed the idea of making a film on our equation and asked my father to write and direct it.”