Hrithik Roshan
Chaya Unnikrishnan (DNA; July 22, 2019)

Hrithik Roshan is currently basking in the success of his latest release Super 30, which has him essaying a character inspired by mathematical genius Anand Kumar. Not only has he won rave reviews for his performance as the Bihari teacher, but the film also has done a business of approximately Rs 75 crore at the box office. Even as the movie is running in theatres, the teaser of his next, War, an action-entertainer, is out and the light-eyed actor’s beefed-up look has gone viral. Here, he tells us about the tough calls he had to take when Super 30’s director got embroiled in a controversy, the change in the release date, and how the outcome has brought him satisfaction and joy.

Is the success of Super 30 different for you than your other films?
The success of Super 30 somehow takes me back to the time when Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai had released. The emotions are similar to what I had felt back then.

Having said that, the success of any film will always be sweet and bring satisfaction and joy. The film went through quite a turmoil with controversy over the director, and later the release date. Did you get disheartened at any point?
There were some really tough calls that I had to take with regards to this film. Whether it was to put the film on hold when the #MeToo conversation came up for law to take its course or the decision to pre-pone the release date of the film. But I am glad that I took these calls. It is because of them that we are in a better place today. So, I would just say that all’s well that ends well.

How do you look back at the experience of shooting for the film?
Super 30 has been one of my most challenging films so far as the requirement here was to capture the soul of Anand Kumar. Before meeting him, I had a vision in my head of how he would be and I was hesitant to meet him at first because I did not want my idea of him to break. But, when I actually met him, I felt he only added beautiful colours to my vision. I had a great time shooting for the film with such talented people, especially, the 30 kids. They surprised and inspired me every day on set.

After this, you will be seen in the action-entertainer, War, in a beefed-up avatar. How much time does it take for you to change yourself physically for the character you play?
Fortunately or unfortunately for Super 30, I was allowed to cheat with my diet a little and the foodie in me loved every bit of it. Being able to have samosas, ice creams and everything that I was deprived of for years, guilt-free, was the best thing. But then came this whole phase where I pushed myself beyond my limits to get back into shape for the beefed-up character that I had to play for my other film. It took months of hard work and sacrifice to achieve that. It was definitely not easy, but I got to learn a little more about how much I can push myself.

Your look in War vs Super 30 has gone viral and sparked off several memes. Your reaction?
Some of the memes are actually very creative and funny. So, I enjoy them too.

Can you share your experience of working with Tiger Shroff?
I have had a blast shooting for this film with Tiger. Anything that I say about him will be less. My words won’t do justice to the kind of talent he possesses.

There are reports about you doing the Satte Pe Satta remake. This will be the second time you will step into Amitabh Bachchan’s shoes.
I am a huge fan of Mr Bachchan so whenever I will get a chance to step into his shoes, I’d be super excited. As for Satte Pe Satta remake, those are only reports as of now. When I sign my next film, I will tell the world about it. Until then, everything you hear is only a rumour.

What kind of film will you do next?
Right now, I am grateful and enjoying the sweet success of my film, Super 30 and gearing up for my second release of the year, War. But I will let you know about my next film soon.

Hrithik Roshan