Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; February 2, 2019)

With her first two films, Sara Ali Khan has proven that she’s the perfect combination of her parents’ talent — Amrita Singh and Saif Ali Khan. While she has her mother’s looks and acting chops, she has inherited her father’s wisdom and sense of confidence. Right after the success of her first two releases, she has become the top choice for several filmmakers, who wish to see a spunky and spontaneous leading lady for their films. At the moment, she is expected to lead the cast of Love Aaj Kal 2 with Kartik Aaryan along with her father, Saif.

Her screen presence and demeanour seems reminiscent of her mother Amrita and the roles she played back in the 80s. When we met Sara recently, we asked her if she’d like to reprise any of her mother’s roles, if the films were to be remade. She said, “I don’t think I would be as good as my mom, in the same roles. But, if I ever have a chance to revisit a role that she played, I would love to play her character in Chameli Ki Shaadi (1986). Her spontaneity and timing were brilliant. She was phenomenal in that role. I love the innocence that she brought to Betaab (1983), too. I also love the fact that she held her own when she worked recently in 2 States (2014). It was after a long gap that she was acting in a film, but her commitment and skill set were still evident; I guess… since an actor, always an actor.”