BOMBAY TIMES (February 10, 2019)

Oscar-winning music composer A R Rahman, who was trolled on social media after his daughter Khatija wore a niqab at an event recently, defended her “freedom to choose”. His daughter had shared the stage with him during an event celebrating 10 years of Slumdog Millionaire. She wore a black sari and her face was covered with a niqab, with only her eyes visible.

Rahman on Wednesday took to Twitter to shut the trolls with another photograph, which featured Khatija, his other daughter Raheema, wife Sairaa and Nita Ambani – from the event. “The precious ladies of my family Khatija, Raheema and Sairaa with Nita Ambani ji. Freedom to choose,” wrote Rahman.

Khatija also took to Facebook to address the controversy. “I would like to say that the attire I wear or the choices I make in my life does not have anything to do with my parents. The veil has been my personal choice with complete acceptance and honour. I am a sane mature adult who knows to make my choices in life,” she wrote.