Actor Vicky Kaushal on his journey as an actor, importance of me-time, and Punjabi beats
Deebashree Mohanty (TIMES LIFE; November 18, 2018)

From engineering to acting, you’ve said your journey has been an organic one. Could you elaborate?
I am not a man with a plan. Everything in my life just fell in place. During an industrial visit (I was a student of Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Versova), I realised something significant; I was not meant to be that man sitting behind computer screens for hours. But I had to complete my engineering course because that is what my parents wanted. “Graduate ban jaa, phir dekh lengey”, my father would say. My family had thought I’d lead a normal life with a white collar job and move to the US. Alas, I was meant for other things.

Would you say you were always a star in the making?
Far from it. I don’t remember visiting film sets with my father (action director Sham Kaushal). I must have been about 10 when he took me to the sets of Fiza, where Hrithik Roshan was shooting. That was my first fanboy moment. I was super excited to just watch Hrithik perform.

At home, my father would discuss scripts with directors over aloo ke parathe, and I would eavesdrop on their conversation. But I never thought much of it at that time.

When I told everyone at home I wanted to try my luck at the movies, they told me the decision should be a well-thought-out one – that I shouldn’t be attracted to cinema for the glamour.

How are you dealing with your newfound stardom?
I am over the top! Every actor wants to be in the limelight. For an actor, all the love and affection comes in the form of attention though it’s not permanent. I have to keep reminding myself that. I am trying to be humble but it’s a challenge at times.

How do you begin your day? Are you a fitness enthusiast?
In the past year, I have only been hitting the gym and following a fixed diet for my roles. After these films get over, I take a break from strict regimes. Right now, I am just eating healthy, home-cooked food – no gym, no diet.

I’m a nocturnal person, a habit that I would like to change. My day gets over pretty late and when I am through with dinner I cannot hit the sack immediately. I cherish my ‘me-time’. I watch a film or talk to my friends who are not from the industry. My mornings usually start around 10 am. If there is no work scheduled for that day, I am very happy just being at home.

What’s on your playlist right now?
I am perpetually listening to Punjabi songs. Even my lullabies are Bhangra songs. However, when I am driving alone, I listen to old Hindi film songs.

What do you generally do during festivals?
I make it a point to attend regular industry parties because you meet a lot of different people under the same roof, which is fun. But on the day of the festival, I’m with my family.

Where was the last place you travelled to?
For my last film Uri, I spent three months in Serbia. When I came home, my house became my reboot place. I didn’t want to leave home at all.

Have you made any time to date, fall in love…?
I think love finds you and you find love. One doesn’t have to search for it. Love becomes your life. Love is not work that you have to schedule. It’s either there or not there.

Would your heart and mind be both involved when you decide to get married?
Both play an important role. I have turned 30, and would ideally like to marry in the next two years. I definitely don’t want to marry when I am 40 or 50. I believe har cheez ka ek time hota hai... It is better that way. But I am not going to marry just because I have to. I will wait for love to find me and I am hoping that happens soon.

What is it that you are looking for in a partner?
I am quite old school. Trust and understanding are very important factors. For me, the beauty of any relationship is when I can sit with my partner in complete silence for hours and never feel awkward about it. When that happens, I’ll know she is the one.

Are you an adventurous traveller or do you prefer a lazy holiday?
I am more of a relaxed traveller. I don’t understand how people want to go someplace and party. I am more of a let’s-go-there-and-check-the-culture kinda guy.

Last destination you fell in love with…
I had gone to an island called Burano – a 40-minute boat ride away from Venice. It’s a vehicle free island. There are no cars, no honking and every house on that island has a different colour. I spent an evening with a friend there just watching the sunset with our feet in the water and a bottle of wine by our side. Bliss!

Are you fashion conscious?
I am actually a fashion handicapped person. All the pictures that you see where I look amazing is because of my stylist Amandeep Kaur. Otherwise, my cupboard is filled with basic white, black and blue T-shirts.

Who would you take fashion advice from?
I like Ranveer Singh’s style because he owns whatever he wears. But I would like to take advice from Ayushmann Khurrrana. He is not very experimental like me but he knows how to present himself.

A positive role model?
I like the way Ranbir Kapoor keeps challenging himself and doesn’t give up. His positive energy is infectious.

Do you cook?
Only maggi and tea.