Rajkummar Rao: Can't always make films that get five stars
Unperturbed by harsh reviews of Fanney Khan, Rajkummar Rao defends his decision of playing second lead in musical
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; August 7, 2018)

Rajkummar Rao's success can be attributed as much to his selection of scripts as to his powerful performances. However, his latest release, Fanney Khan, which has him sharing screen space with Anil Kapoor and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, has drawn flak for its wafer-thin plot.

Taking the unfavourable reviews in his stride, Rao points out that his performance as Kapoor's partner-in-crime Adhir has been appreciated by the audience. "It [poor reviews] doesn't affect my mindset. That people couldn't connect to the story is a momentary [setback]. But then, you learn your lesson. I have read reviews where people said that they wanted to see more of my character in the narrative. That is encouraging. At the end of the day, I can only control my honesty in the film. What people like or dislike is not in my hands."

Rao understands that filmmaking is a collaborative effort and that the final product may not always shape up to one's liking despite the team's best efforts. "We can't always make films which will get a five-star rating. It's fine with me. I just have to keep working and keep believing in things that matter to me." Considering he is at the peak of his career, many may view his move of playing second lead in Fanney Khan as far from wise. However, the actor says, "I am a big fan of Anil sir, and I was glad to get the opportunity of working with him. If there is an exciting role, I don't mind exploring a supporting character."