Bobby Deol admits his self-imposed exile from the screen was a mistake and expresses gratitude to ‘angel’ Salman Khan for getting him back into action
Roshmila Bhattacharya (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 11, 2018)

He was MIA for a few years but now Bobby Deol is back in the race, basking in the appreciation he’s getting for his new chiselled physique, the result of hours in the gym, kicking and punching with his martial arts trainer, along with a conscious focus on diet and discipline. “It’s awesome, all this love that’s been coming my way. I get angry for not taking better care of myself earlier and for not doing more films in the last few years. It’s too late for regrets but I will work every day now for the rest of my life,” says the actor.

Currently in London for Housefull 4 which kicked off on Monday and reunited him with buddies Akshay Kumar and Riteish Deshmukh, after many years, Bobby is looking forward to the laughs. “Sajid Nadiadwala (producer) makes sure his team is always happy. The script is really funny, very Sajid Khan-ish, a humorous take on reincarnation,” he shares. Does he believe in a second coming himself, you wonder, and he points out that as a member of the Arya Samaj he doesn’t. “But ‘punar janam’ is a part of the Indian culture and psyche. I would want to come back as my papa’s (Dharmendra) son in the next birth, mamma’s too,” he says.

A reel life reunion with papa and brother Sunny in Yamla Pagla Deewana Phir Se is coming up. “The first part of the franchise did well, the second didn’t, we’re hoping this one works, we’ve spent a lot of time trying to find the right script,” says Bobby. Dharmendra isn’t playing his father this time but a lawyer who’s his paying guest while Sunny is an ayurvedic doctor dealing in jadi-booti. “I’m a Punjabi going to Gujarat after his ladylove,” he adds.

Pictures of Bobby’s sons have been doing the rounds with the elder one, Aryaman, sparking speculations that he’ll be the next Deol to be launched after Sunny’s son Karan. “I’m blessed, he’s a beautiful child, not just from the outside. He has a beautiful soul too,” beams the proud father. “He’s just turned 17 and I don’t want him to grow up before his time. I have kept my kids out of the limelight and away from the media as I want them to enjoy their childhood like I did. They can then choose to do what they want. Right now, Aryaman’s interests are studies and cricket,” he says. Did he want to be anything other than an actor? “Never, I always wanted to be an actor and will be one,” he says.

Meanwhile, he’s found a mentor and guide in Salman Khan. “He came into my life like an angel and treats me like a younger brother, finding ways to selflessly do things for me. Recently, he called me from the US to wish me luck before I went on stage for a performance. He’s awesome!” Bobby exults. Point out that their last release, Race 3, has entered the Rs 100 crore club but not lived up to the sky-high expectations and Bobby reasons, “Every film has its own life and reactions differ from person to person. The social media today is really strong, pictures of my new look went viral instantly and people have also been raving about the action scenes. This hasn’t happened to me in a long time. It’s what Salman wanted for me. Race 3 has given me more than what I hoped for and with it has come the realisation that it was a mistake keeping myself away from all this love.”

Any plans to turn producer or director? “I was always a part of our production house, Vijeta Films, but don’t see myself as a director,” he says. “I’m an actor, I want to play good characters and I’m not looking at only lead roles or films. I wouldn’t mind doing a series with high production values and an exciting role.”